Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on chase card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud on chase card.

My SO had her car broken into a few months ago we noticed it maybe 30 minutes after it happened her wallet was inside though and all her cards were stolen. She called the banks and police to file reports right away. By that time only one charge had gone through at a gas station (we didn't know this until a couple days later because it showed just as pending).

We went in person to the gas station to ask to see the video because they had several cameras and the counter person said they could only show police. We gave the police the exact date, time, amount and card information and they literally never went and followed up for something that's considered a felony.

As far as the bank most have fraud liability coverage and will take care of any charges. But it's just sad that people do these things and get away with them too because law enforcement does nothing.
Message 11 of 22
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I was reading on Reddit that most police departments don't really investigate CC fraud. Blispay told me if I want to go to the police department that is up to me but it isn't necessary on my part.... I think it's more the merchant that cares. I filed a police report when someone used my NFCU and I never heard anything again.
Message 12 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
I was reading on Reddit that most police departments don't really investigate CC fraud. Blispay told me if I want to go to the police department that is up to me but it isn't necessary on my part.... I think it's more the merchant that cares. I filed a police report when someone used my NFCU and I never heard anything again.

Umm don't rely on Reddit. While smaller police departments probably aren't very inclined to investigate, I can tell you for a fact that larger city police departments and prosecutors oiffices are certainly investigating this. People are going to prison over this stuff. Why? Because the people doing the credit card fraud are gang members and/or part of identity fraud groups. They all figured that they could rip off tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars without the police doing anything. The major retailers have gotten pissed off and are leaning on the police departments and the banks obviously are annoyed at the cost of having to reissue accounts and deal with upset customers who may drop them. Will the police do much for Joe Blow as an individual? No. However, when the criminals go to use these cards loss prevention is going to build a case and call the police to come make an arrest. The more used to these cases the police/prosecutors get to bringing in court the more you will see arrests and investigations. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 22
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Nice to know, I hope people get sent to jail over these types of things it's unfortunate for not only us but the merchant as well Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 22
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

NFCU and now blispay combined were $14700
Message 15 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Creditplz wrote:

Umm don't rely on Reddit. While smaller police departments probably aren't very inclined to investigate, I can tell you for a fact that larger city police departments and prosecutors oiffices are certainly investigating this. People are going to prison over this stuff. Why? Because the people doing the credit card fraud are gang members and/or part of identity fraud groups. They all figured that they could rip off tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars without the police doing anything. The major retailers have gotten pissed off and are leaning on the police departments and the banks obviously are annoyed at the cost of having to reissue accounts and deal with upset customers who may drop them. Will the police do much for Joe Blow as an individual? No. However, when the criminals go to use these cards loss prevention is going to build a case and call the police to come make an arrest. The more used to these cases the police/prosecutors get to bringing in court the more you will see arrests and investigations. 

I would suspect though, in many cases, that they are really interested in targeting the organzation, bigwigs whereas the individuals using the cards are just the foot soldiers who may have almost no information to trade about how the fraud/cloning etc is being done.   Just like a lot of other criminal enterprises....

Message 16 of 22
elim
Senior Contributor

Try setting up Text Alerts also.  That way you can stop multipe transactions because you catch it at the first swipe.

Message 17 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditplz wrote:

I would suspect though, in many cases, that they are really interested in targeting the organzation, bigwigs whereas the individuals using the cards are just the foot soldiers who may have almost no information to trade about how the fraud/cloning etc is being done.   Just like a lot of other criminal enterprises....

Not really. The people in the stores are usually very connected to the people making the cards if not the ones actually doing it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have mentioned, let Chase take care of it since these are fraudulant charges. Also, to prevent further acts of fraudlant charges, I recommend a few things.

Make sure you check every ATM you use. You never know if it's a fake machine and that's how they can steal your card information!!!

Continue to use your credit cards. That's the best thing about people trying to stealing your money. They haven't taken your money yet but the bank's money. Your money is still safe and sound in the bank.

If you shop online a lot, I reccomend using paypal and the such if you order from sites you're not familar with.

I hope everything gets resolved.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's so weird because my SO had her cards stolen but her CapOne was the only one use but she reported all of them as stolen as was issued new ones.

Ever since then for Chase randomly she gets fraud alerts for the silliest things. Like last week our family ate at Chic Fil A for $23 and we got a text and email asking to confirm the $23 charge I mean we appreciate that they're on top of things but **bleep** $23 couldn't at least do it on a $100+ charge?

As for catching credit thiefs literally the gas station the card was used at was maybe 1/2 mile from the police station they could have easily obtained the video and proceeded but probably figured why go through that trouble no one was injured Smiley Sad
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.