Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on my Cap1 Venture...SMDH!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud on my Cap1 Venture...SMDH!

Sorry it happened. People steal card numbers every day, somehow. I had $147 in charges appear from a store in a state I have not visited in 20 years. The bank told me that the card was swiped at checkout. The thieves these days are sophisticated. They can make cards with magnetic strips. Mine happened right after I ordered pizza (sorry) and gave my card number over the phone to prepay for it's delivery to my office.

Message 21 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cotton_Britches wrote:
Sounds like an inside job from one of the employees.

+1 Once I had a double charge for shoes on a credit card. I think those employees who do that think you won't check closely and the amount will be familiar. (Not saying that is what happened, but guessing that is it.)

Message 22 of 57
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Fraud are up this time of the year unfortunately, more reason for chip/pin down the road. Glad all is good now. 

Message 23 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is important to report to the company that the charges were placed with as well as the credit card company, and I'm glad you are doing this, pizza.

When I asked the Barclay fraud department if they were going to contact Air Bed Warehouse and Walmart.com as part of their investigation (some of the charges were from Walmart.com also, not mine) about the fraudulent charges that were more than a thousand dollars, they seemed as if they weren't going to bother to take it that far.

They need to. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually bought a wallet and a passport cover that blocks scanning so that I feel safer when I carry either. I always wondered if it really worked and I had my passport in my hand going through security and it buzzed me. 

So sorry this happened to you, pizza. We all need to be extra diligent this time of year, it seems.

Message 25 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes!  Good catch, glad it wasn't worse!

Message 26 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually bought a wallet and a passport cover that blocks scanning so that I feel safer when I carry either. I always wondered if it really worked and I had my passport in my hand going through security and it buzzed me. 

So sorry this happened to you, pizza. We all need to be extra diligent this time of year, it seems.

really?? They have those??  That is kinda cool... I wonder if they sell them for women as well??  I may read up on that..Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 57
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Oh yes they do. I have one and I also have CC sleeves that offer the same protection (at least that's the claim) for my stylish wallets that don't have the protection.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 28 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Oh yes they do. I have one and I also have CC sleeves that offer the same protection (at least that's the claim) for my stylish wallets that don't have the protection.

Lady...Where did buy yours??

Message 29 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

Inside job for $12 and some change???! 

And for purchases they presumably get a discount on anyway (and can probably steal with a fraction of the risk)

And for those that are arguing it is a trial purchase, that doesn't make much sense either.   You do that if you get info on a stolen card and want to see if it has been reported.  If you somehow took the info from the card being used, you can do a big purchase straight away, and do it at a store that has no connection with you.

I am much more inclined (especially as this was pending rather than posted) to suspect  a record mixup

Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.