Did you mean: 

Fraud on my Cap1 Venture...SMDH!

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Fraud on my Cap1 Venture...SMDH!

@elim wrote:

Pizza, when Cap1 closes and re-opens a card with a new number, what does it look like on your CR's?  Same account reporting new number? Same open date?

Yes, the acct itself stays the same, just the number changes. They already credited it back to me and I got my documents tonight they are working on the investigation. Pretty fast and efficient and I'm impressed. New card was in the mail already too! 

Message 41 of 57
elim
Senior Contributor

Gotta say i'm lovin' Cap1...  I log into Barclay 2 times a day to be sure my account is still whole.   Pretty confident when i swipe a Venture it's intact...   nice.

Message 42 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually bought a wallet and a passport cover that blocks scanning so that I feel safer when I carry either. I always wondered if it really worked and I had my passport in my hand going through security and it buzzed me. 

So sorry this happened to you, pizza. We all need to be extra diligent this time of year, it seems.

really?? They have those??  That is kinda cool... I wonder if they sell them for women as well??  I may read up on that..Smiley Wink

Amazon is where I bought mine! It is awesome! This is a woman's wallet!

Message 43 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

Gotta say i'm lovin' Cap1...  I log into Barclay 2 times a day to be sure my account is still whole.   Pretty confident when i swipe a Venture it's intact...   nice.

agree here too!!  I give my Venture card a lot of swipes....most of my monthly spend. I treat Barclays just fine with a few hundred, and PIF before statment cuts, adn they seem to like me. lol

Message 44 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cotton_Britches wrote:
Sounds like an inside job from one of the employees.

OR, a breach in the network of the payment system.  I'm not saying folks handling our cards never do illegal things, but I would look towards a network breach first.  There is much that happens and NEVER sees the news.  Not all hackings are of the scale of Target and the Sony network.

Message 45 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tntexans72 wrote:

Inside job for $12 and some change???! 

EXACTLY.  99% this is own the payment processor.

Message 46 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Oh yes they do. I have one and I also have CC sleeves that offer the same protection (at least that's the claim) for my stylish wallets that don't have the protection.

Lady...Where did buy yours??

This is really a big misconception. You do not need any kind of sleeve or wallet to protect the average credit card because they can;t be read by anyone else.  Only cards with RFID can be scanned and with the exception of a few Amex cards that you have to ask for, credit cards do not have RFID.  The whole 'credit card scanning' hype was created by a few youtube videos and news reports when RFID cards came on the market.  In reality therenhave been very few reports of any card with RFID being comprised that way.  So unless you have an RFID card, you're wasting your money.

Well, I do, and even if the likelihood of it happening is low, I still rather be protected than not.

That's fine if you have one but the average credit card holder does not and a lot of them mistakenly think their card can be scanned when its impossible to do.

I didn't realize that they'd gone out of favor. I liked the tap and pay option. Although I haven't used it in awhile now since it's my debit card and I'm all about the rewards now.

I did forget to mention that they are on some debit cards as well.  The feature is great but i think because of all the bad publicity the CC companies changed direction.  I just got my Global Entry card and it came with RFID and a protective sleeve so the technology is still being employed, just not on CCs. Thieves wil ruin it everytime.

Thank You Irish for doing some clarification on that for me. Im going to need to google this, as I still dont really thoroughly understand the concept Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 57
happypill
Valued Contributor

I just had fraud on my Venture as well.  It was about $150 for a company called Shakeology.  I guess they are a mail order protein shake business (which I would never buy, and I don't sign up for recurring deliveries of anything anyways).  When I do a search on this company, CC fraud is the very first entry on Google.  Apparently that is their main business.

I took care of it via chat, the Capital One rep was very quick and responsive.  Cancelled the old card, issued a new one.  I should have a replacement in a week.  Took less than 5 minutes total, so kudos to Cap One CS.  Not sure how the information was compramised.  I did use the card on a trip last week, and I have purchased stuff online with it.

Message 48 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Thank You Irish for doing some clarification on that for me. Im going to need to google this, as I still dont really thoroughly understand the concept Smiley Happy

Well, impersonationg google,  it really is pretty simple.   There are two types of chips, RFID, used in contactless  (tap and pay) cards with the symbol in Irish's posts, and the EMV chip (as in chip & sig and chip & pin) that many cards have been getting over the last year or so.     Some cards have both, but cards with any RFID will have that symbol

In theory, RFID cards COULD be read by someone close by, and that is why there is a market in shielding sleeves etc.   The same concern was raised with chipped (RFID) passports, some changes were made there and again there is a market if protective devices.   How good any of the protection is I don't know (anyone can market anything!)

Message 49 of 57
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

See pizza, leave the 20k venture at home when buying small items. Only bring low limit cards to make small purchases. 

LOL...BTW, this is a $47k Venture Smiley Wink ...and my Low limit $1k Cabelas had fruad not too long ago either, SMH!!

Pizza, 

Sorry to hear about yet another fraud issue with you! Perhaps you should stop wearing the Jimmy Choos into Bath & Body Works Smiley Wink

If it makes you feel better, I just had someone charge 2.5k in airfare through Southwest on my Ritz card. The idiot used his real name along with the members of his family. Ive also never flown southwest in my life - none of which, JP Morgan seemed to care about. I did all this research before I called them and they couldnt have cared less.

Hope you get a break soon! Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.