Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Charge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraudulent Charge

Found a fraudulent charge this morning.  Chase Disney card.  I haven't used it since March 3rd.  I check my bank accounts every. Single. Day. 

It was for a movie theater yesterday.  I have been moving to new apartment since Saturday.  Also, for a small total, $11.00.  My average movie experience costs $50+.  Concessions alone average $25.  

Really feeling like, who, how? 

No auto charges on this card.  Also, looked up date of attendance, February 20th.   I bought the tickets x2 for $32. They were posted and paid back in Feb.  Could the theater have stolen my info when I bought the tickets?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraudulent Charge

if it's the same theater it's obviously possible an employee did. i wouldn't blame the theater. you can take me off your list because i didn't do it Smiley Wink

side note: that's a lot to spend at a theater lol

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang...my local theatre is a restaurant/pub where you can eat while watching the movie and we don't spend that much.

Message 3 of 8
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

It could have been any where you used the card. My husband and mine's cards get stolen multiple times a year. We eat out a lot and we think it's from restaurants we go to. It's not really a big deal b/c cards have fraud protection. It's jut annoying to have to call, report it and wait for the new card.
***However, I got a call today from chase (was working, didn't answer) and then I got an e-mail right after stating fraud alert, call them ASAP. I called and they said they didn't have a lot a details yet but a 3rd party advised them that many cards have been compromised. Maybe it's from that (I haven't used that card in months)?
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BeeH11 wrote:
It could have been any where you used the card. My husband and mine's cards get stolen multiple times a year. We eat out a lot and we think it's from restaurants we go to. It's not really a big deal b/c cards have fraud protection. It's jut annoying to have to call, report it and wait for the new card.
***However, I got a call today from chase (was working, didn't answer) and then I got an e-mail right after stating fraud alert, call them ASAP. I called and they said they didn't have a lot a details yet but a 3rd party advised them that many cards have been compromised. Maybe it's from that (I haven't used that card in months)?

Right, it can be anywhere you used it, or from a breach at the issuer, at the merchant, at the processor, at a backup vendor etc.   While people want to "know", especially the first times this happened, it's not going to be possible to find out.    Just rely on the fraud protection, and put these events as one of the annoying possible impacts of using credit cards.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

or any plastic lol. but i would rather you take money from my credit card than my bank account with my debit card. just sayin..
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Internet good karma to you all.

I followed my gut and called it in.  First fraud charge I've caught.   These forums have taught me to be more Viligant in managing my credit and that includes if I want to carry an Arsenal of credit cards I better be **** sure to monitor every single one.  

A new theater, only a few months old, in a middle class neighorborhood, trying to compete on the luxury theater market.  Caught yah jerks!

I had to confirm I keep my Darth Vader design like the tool I am. 

Yeah, this lux theater was $10 cheaper, but screw that, I'm sticking with snootsville I usually go to, and joyously park my 12 yr old faded, rusted Honda next to E Class Mercedes.  Smiley LOL

Thank you my fellow myFico'ers.  Back to packing!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol i am known to park right by the people with $100k+ cars that park in the back of a lot. don't go shopping in it if you're that scared!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.