Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Credit Score When You Don't Get Lowest APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free Credit Score When You Don't Get Lowest APR

I thought I remembered reading somewhere a while ago that if you get approved for a credit card, the issuer is required to give you the credit score they based your approval off of if you weren't given the lowest APR in the card's range.  I can't find anything on this now; can anyone confirm/deny?  Or point me towards a thread I can read; maybe my search skills are just poor Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Free Credit Score When You Don't Get Lowest APR

Yes you're mailed your credit score with the card.

Message 2 of 28
surehit
Regular Contributor

They have to send you the disclosure giving the reasons. The disclosure will also include which bureau they got the data from. You can then request a report from that bureau for free, but it won't include your score. 

AMEX Platinum Gold - NPSL | Citi ThankYou Premiere 20k | NASA Platinum Rewards - 20k | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature - 5k x 5 (Not sure why I needed 5.... but still....) | Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 21K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 15K | Ritz Carlton Card - 10k | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - 5k | BECU Visa - 3k |Barclaycard Rewards - 2k | Chase Amazon Rewards - 1k | Discover IT Student - 500 | Chase Slate - 500 | Walmart Store Card - 700 | BBY CitiBank - 1500 | BBY CitiBank -1000

Eq (MyFico) 767 | TU (FICO) 759 | Ex (FAKO): 749
Message 3 of 28
lenz99
New Contributor

I believe you'll only get the score in case of denial,  approved without getting the lowest APR tier wouldn't get you the score.

Message 4 of 28
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

I believe you'll only get the score in case of denial,  approved without getting the lowest APR tier wouldn't get you the score.

I have never received the lowest rate on my approvals, and I have always been sent a notice including my score and CB pulled and reasons as to why they couldn't approve me for the best rate.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@lenz99 wrote:

I have never received the lowest rate on my approvals, and I have always been sent a notice including my score and CB pulled and reasons as to why they couldn't approve me for the best rate.

What is your AAoA? I think that may affect APR, and not simply the score.

Message 6 of 28
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

NFCU gave me my score & bureau in a letter couple days ago after they raised my CLOC limit to the max but not with the best APR.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, I didn't get any score or report from Citi even though my APR was on the high end of their spectrum...is this something I can call to ask for?

Message 8 of 28
myjourney
Super Contributor

There are 2 times you won't receive a score 

1) You/'re given the lowest APR available for that product 

2) The card you're approved for only has one APR that everyone who applies gets 

Amex charge cards also come w/o scores 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

There are 2 times you won't receive a score 

1) You/'re given the lowest APR available for that product 

2) The card you're approved for only has one APR that everyone who applies gets 

Amex charge cards also come w/o scores 

What about online pre-approvals?  This was Citi DC, so not a set APR and I definitely did not get 12.99% Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.