tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Free Credit Score When You Don't Get Lowest APR

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

There are 2 times you won't receive a score 

1) You/'re given the lowest APR available for that product 

2) The card you're approved for only has one APR that everyone who applies gets 

Amex charge cards also come w/o scores 

What about online pre-approvals?  This was Citi DC, so not a set APR and I definitely did not get 12.99% Smiley Tongue

Then you should had gotten a score 

Check your paperwork again sometimes I've found them on the back of a page 

Also depending on when it was approved (recently) You maybe able to call and get the info 

Call the # on back of card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 28
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

There are 2 times you won't receive a score 

1) You/'re given the lowest APR available for that product 

2) The card you're approved for only has one APR that everyone who applies gets 

Amex charge cards also come w/o scores 

I got the lowest apr on two cards, and got scores with the letters.  YMMV.

Signature needs updating
Message 12 of 28
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@lenz99 wrote:

I believe you'll only get the score in case of denial,  approved without getting the lowest APR tier wouldn't get you the score.

I have never received the lowest rate on my approvals, and I have always been sent a notice including my score and CB pulled and reasons as to why they couldn't approve me for the best rate.

What is your AAoA? I think that may affect APR, and not simply the score.

My AAoA has recently hit an all time high of one year, so all of the apps were done with <1 yr AAoA. My oldest account is Discover, which will be two years old in December.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Then you should had gotten a score 

Check your paperwork again sometimes I've found them on the back of a page 

Also depending on when it was approved (recently) You maybe able to call and get the info 

Call the # on back of card 

I just took another look through and all that was sent to me was a list of card benefits, the cardmember agreement, personal info sharing disclosure, the welcome letter, and facts about interest rates...nothing about credit score/reports, not even on the APR sheet.  All my BoA cards have come with a separate sheet called "Your Credit and the Price You Pay for Credit" that has the credit score on it (no reasons though).  I guess I'll give Citi a call then Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 28
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

I believe you'll only get the score in case of denial,  approved without getting the lowest APR tier wouldn't get you the score.

This was my experience with NFCU.  When I asked them why they never sent me a disclosure letter, they said they weren't required to because I qualified for one of their best rates, even though it wasn't the best.  I got 10.65% APR when the lowest available was 9.65%.

Message 15 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is your AAoA? I think that may affect APR, and not simply the score.

One's entire credit profile matters.  Not just score or AAoA.

@Anonymous wrote:

What about online pre-approvals?  This was Citi DC, so not a set APR and I definitely did not get 12.99%

The preapp doesn't matter.  It's the approval that matters.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just took another look through and all that was sent to me was a list of card benefits, the cardmember agreement, personal info sharing disclosure, the welcome letter, and facts about interest rates...nothing about credit score/reports, not even on the APR sheet.

The letter is usually sent separately.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my own experience, when I wasn't given the best APR, the CC paperwork includes my score. I also can request a free credit report (which does not include my score) from the bureau they pulled from, which doesn't count against my annual free credit report. I think the menu options for this are a bit misleading, but you'd select the same options that imply you were denied for credit (I think the subtext indicates that this option also includes not-the-best APR or other terms).

Speaking for both Citi and Amex experiences. Both pulled Experian.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, what happens if there's a double pull?  Do you get both scores and can request two reports?

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere a while ago that if you get approved for a credit card, the issuer is required to give you the credit score they based your approval off of if you weren't given the lowest APR in the card's range.  I can't find anything on this now; can anyone confirm/deny?  Or point me towards a thread I can read; maybe my search skills are just poor Smiley Sad

I remember reading this on this forum as well. I have received four new cards since June and have received scores with them as well. I cannot remember if they were in the same envelope as the actual cards or in a separate one with the terms and benefits. These cards were Chase Amazon, Elan visa, Elan Amex, and Cap1 QS.  I have also received declination letters from the Amazon store card with the scores on it as well.

Message 19 of 28
taxi818
Super Contributor

Required is for Denial. Not for lowest Apr. Some lenders will give you for not getting apr. not score. Like amex. But that is exception not the rule. Its simple. denial. anything else is just based on the lender.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.