Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freed up my go-to BT card!

tag
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Freed up my go-to BT card!

I recently transfered the balance on my Simmons First card to a zero percent BT card.  I like keeping the Simmons card (with its paltry $6k CL) because I can transfer any other balance there, with NO fee and the regular interest rate is only 7.25 percent.

Long story, but I wound up buying two sets of three tickets for Bette Midler next year, one set of three for Philadelphia and one set of three for DC.  These were Amex presale tickets, so they had to go on my Amex card (which is 17.24 percent).  I wanted to jump on good seats, but was still working out with my friends which date we could all make (hence the two sets of tickets).  So when the dust settled there was about $1800 charged on my previously paid-off Amex card.  My friends will pay their share of the tickets we actually use, but I want to try to resell the others, and not sure how long it will take for me to sell them.  

So I got on the phone and transferred my $1800 balance (which won't have payment due till mid-December) to my Simmons card.  I expect to sell the tickets within a month or two, so the interest even on Amex wouldn't be that much, but this way I'll save a bit.

Just happy I have my little Simmons card.  Yeah, they are a bit old-fashioned, everything is done by hand, but they have these really sweet CSRs who talk to you in a lovely Southern accent, and who are very helpful (though limited in what they can do re CLIs etc.).  Can't beat them for a low-interest BT whenever you NEED to put something on one of those higher-interest cards that you want to stretch out for a couple of months.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Freed up my go-to BT card!

@LexieCat wrote:

I recently transfered the balance on my Simmons First card to a zero percent BT card.  I like keeping the Simmons card (with its paltry $6k CL) because I can transfer any other balance there, with NO fee and the regular interest rate is only 7.25 percent.

Long story, but I wound up buying two sets of three tickets for Bette Midler next year, one set of three for Philadelphia and one set of three for DC.  These were Amex presale tickets, so they had to go on my Amex card (which is 17.24 percent).  I wanted to jump on good seats, but was still working out with my friends which date we could all make (hence the two sets of tickets).  So when the dust settled there was about $1800 charged on my previously paid-off Amex card.  My friends will pay their share of the tickets we actually use, but I want to try to resell the others, and not sure how long it will take for me to sell them.  

So I got on the phone and transferred my $1800 balance (which won't have payment due till mid-December) to my Simmons card.  I expect to sell the tickets within a month or two, so the interest even on Amex wouldn't be that much, but this way I'll save a bit.

Just happy I have my little Simmons card.  Yeah, they are a bit old-fashioned, everything is done by hand, but they have these really sweet CSRs who talk to you in a lovely Southern accent, and who are very helpful (though limited in what they can do re CLIs etc.).  Can't beat them for a low-interest BT whenever you NEED to put something on one of those higher-interest cards that you want to stretch out for a couple of months.

Next time you talk to Simmons, I suggesting singing a rousing chorus of "Wind Beneath My Wings" as a thank-you.  Smiley Wink

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 9
negg
Frequent Contributor

So your BT card is no fee 0% interests ??  Or is it 7.25 %

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's pretty cool!
Message 4 of 9
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

@negg wrote:

So your BT card is no fee 0% interests ??  Or is it 7.25 %

No fee BT, 7.25% interest.  That's the card's regular purchase rate.  I've had the card for a few years now.  

I have a great rewards card, and my Amex card, both of which serve their purposes, but I don't want to carry balances on them due to the high interest rates.  So having the Simmons card lets me put a large-ish purchase on one of those when I need to, then transfer and pay off over a few months at a low interest rate.

My BEST interest rate card is my Wells Fargo (6.24%), but it's next to impossible to transfer balances to that card.  I can't remember the last time I got a BT offer, and when I've called to ask it's been refused.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 5 of 9
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@LexieCat wrote:

Next time you talk to Simmons, I suggesting singing a rousing chorus of "Wind Beneath My Wings" as a thank-you.  Smiley Wink

Heh, I'll ask Bette to dedicate that number to Simmons.

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@LexieCat wrote:

Bette Midler's still alive?!?  Wow.  And even so, you really think she has a voice worth listening to?  Wow, when they say there are suckers everywhere, they might be right...

I knew it was coming. This time, and this time only do you get kudos.

Message 7 of 9
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@LexieCat wrote:

Bette Midler's still alive?!?  Wow.  And even so, you really think she has a voice worth listening to?  Wow, when they say there are suckers everywhere, they might be right...

I thought she died at the end of "The Rose" ?

I remember watching "The Rose".  I was hung over and sick & watched it on the hotel room TV while at spring break from college in Ft Lauderdale. I've always had an odd connection to that movie, since she died of an overdose in the movie and I felt like I almost died of one watching it.The year was 1978. Lol, Bette has to be old now, I'm old........

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bada_bing wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@LexieCat wrote:

I thought she died at the end of "The Rose" ?

I remember watching "The Rose".  I was hung over and sick & watched it on the hotel room TV while at spring break from college in Ft Lauderdale. I've always had an odd connection to that movie, since she died of an overdose in the movie and I felt like I almost died of one watching it.The year was 1978. Lol, Bette has to be old now, I'm old........

Hmm, I'll have to add this to my list of movies to watch.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.