Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom 5% groceries works on bakeries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom 5% groceries works on bakeries

Ok so not game chaning for anyone I'm sure, but an interesting observation i made: 

I bought a baguette and noticed that I got 5% on my Freedom. I was like "What the..?" Then I did a bit of research and found out that most grocery stores code as 5411 Mcc on Visa. That code is described by Visa as "grocery stores/supermarkets/bakeries". Not of much value unless your local bakery sells discounted gift cards but still interesting. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Freedom 5% groceries works on bakeries

But also the other way round.   Discovered on my Forward, a place we think of as a restaurant, is listed as Merchandise Bakeries, and does not earn the 5%

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

But also the other way round.   Discovered on my Forward, a place we think of as a restaurant, is listed as Merchandise Bakeries, and does not earn the 5%

The truly bizzare thing is that Visa lumps bakeries and grocery stores

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Interesting, the Visa Supplier locator lists 5411 as Grocery stores/supermarkets and 5462 as bakeries.   Where did you see the combined description?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am literally just looking at the supplier locator right now and seeing bakeries included under 5411. And chase seems to agree with this version. But perhaps it differs on the place?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.