Regular Contributor
too-much-time

Freedom, Discover, Blue Cash

A quarterly 5% bonus category for grocery stores seems surprisingly hard to come by. If I remember correctly, Discover More used to have it, but some time ago reduced the offering to one month or two per year. Did Freedom ever have groceries as a quarterly category? I'm shocked not seeing it anywhere. Love the grocery percentages of BCE/BCP, but aside from brand-name merchandise and gift cards it's strictly cash back, not Membership Rewards points or any other form of redeeming for airline tickets?

Valued Contributor
parakleet

Re: Freedom, Discover, Blue Cash

I don't believe I've ever heard Freedom or Discover having grocery as their 5% category. As for BCP/BCE - the "CASH" part in the card pretty much sums up their main reward. MR or other travel points are from their other cards.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

IT and Freedom, ime, never do 5% on groceries.
BCP has 6% on groceries, but also has a $75 AF, :-(
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
DigitalArk

[ Edited ]
I shop @ Walmart n Costco a lot for groceries, especially Costco, which are not included in BCE/BCP for its rewards. So BCE/BCP are not for me. TrueEarnings is a much better option in my case. I also use USAA Amex a lot, which gives me 2 pts/dollar for gas n groceries. I love Freedom n it cards. Their customer services are awesome!

Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you want the Sallie Mae World Mastercard. The only negative is that the monthly caps are kinda low. Of course, if your married, both you and your spouse could get the card, and make one of you an authorized user of the other's card, to increase your savings.

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

5% on Groceries capped @ $250/month

5% on Gas Stations capped @ $250/month

5% on Book Stores capped @ $750/month

1% everything else

Valued Contributor
bigblue7722

I like that sallie Mae Mastercard but that seems like a lot to worry about how much u are spending with those low cap limits.
TU08 Fico Score (689)-Goal Score-(750)
AMEX PRG NPSL,Us Airways mastercard $7500, CSP $6000, AMEX BCE $5000, Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Paypal smart connect $4000, Capital One Quicksliver $3500,Chase Freedom $3200, Discover it $3000,Sallie Mae Mastercard $2900
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

Depending on where you shop, you might be able to get gift cards to that store, so assuming you spend more than $250 on groceries, every month buy a $250 gift card, use it till it runs out and then switch to your normal card(s).   Or to raise less questions, buy the card after your first purchase each month, so the amounts vary.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}