Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Unlimited or Double Cash

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Freedom Unlimited or Double Cash

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be the dissenting voice here and say Citi Double Cash hands-down.

Reason? 2% beats 1.5URP. To me, 1.5URP = 1.5%.

Excuse me while I rant.

I have been at this game for eight years, and I have never, ever, seen a URP redemption that would work for me, other than $.01 per URP.

Yes, I've studied, I've read the how-to-manuals, looked at flyertalk and the points guy, read the bragging threads on how someone got a first-class flight to Paris on July 1 that otherwise would have cost $5,000 for only 700k URP, making a redemption value of over 7 cents per point.

But guess what? I have no desire to fly first class to Paris on July 1 for $5000, $700 or even $500.

Every time I've looked for a flight that I actually *want* to take, any flight I could actually take by converting my points to something else, resolves to far less than 1 cent per point, compared to what I could book otherwise.

The way I see it, URP may be more valuable than 1 cent per point if all of the following are true:

1. You like to fly a *lot* for no particular reason.

2. You don't care where your destination is, except that it has to be an expensive flight that you get for next to nothing.

3. You really really have to have first class for everything.

Otherwise, take the cash.

There are two types of people. Person A will buy a $300 pair of shoes for $50 and say "Man, what a great deal I got! I got a $300 pair of shoes, with built-in GPS and step-tracking, for only $50." And there's the other type of person who said, "hey, I just got a pair of sneakers at Costco for $19.99 and got 5% cashback, so they only cost me $18.99." Person A will sniff and say, "but I saved $250, and you only saved $1, and my shoes are so much cooler." Person B will say "but I paid $18.99 for a pair of shoes that will serve me fine, and you paid $50, so I saved $30 more than you."

If you're person B, take the DC. If you're person A, FU.

Chris.

Then just get the DC. I only fly to destinations I want to travel to. I do not fly a lot. I don't "need" to be in first class, but on a 14+ hour flight it is a hell of a lot better than economy, especially for taller people who need more leg room. I use points and while they can be a hassle sometimes, I have saved thousands (maybe tens of thousands) over the years. Also, points are good for business class seats as well so it isn't just first class. I often get more than 2% back on redemptions. If you are only going to travel domestic then maybe points aren't for you (there is no real need for buisness or first class on a domestic ticket), but your list of the only people who can use points is inaccurate. Also, with URs I find better redemptions via Hyatt vs using them on flights (part of this has to do with I use other points programs for flights and like to avoid fuel surcharges though). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 37
zerbherb
Established Contributor

a close friend  goes to nyu and lives and LA round trip is 31k UR points. I forgot about this. It isn't really a qestion anymore Freedom Unlimited it is.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 22 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Cpaytner raises a good point. People brag about great UR redemption, but if they weren't flights you were already taking or you wouldn't already be doing first class, it may not be worthwhile. At the end of the day all the companies want is to make people spend more to earn more rewards. So you may overspend on a trip (or go on more trips) because of that "great deal" on the flight (which doesn't represent the whole cost of a trip).

Not that UR points are bad by any stretch. They aren't. Just as with anything else, one has to be careful it isn't causing them to travel solely because of the points because that's far more expensive in the long run. You may get a more impressive "value" from redeeming for premium travel, but if lesser accommodations would suit your needs, are you really gaining anything? Or are you letting Chase dictate your plans? (Which is what they want)

I personally opt for the cash back. Then I'm not locked into any program or having to worry about getting a "good value", etc. 

Message 23 of 37
sr383
Regular Contributor

I don't "need" to be in first class, but on a 14+ hour flight it is a hell of a lot better than economy, especially for taller people who need more leg room. 

I heard THAT. Only 5'11", but 34" inseam.

And I'd gladly fly first class to Paris for points, even at 3 a.m. on a weekday.

That said, I'm only chasing cash, at this point.

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 24 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Cpaytner raises a good point. People brag about great UR redemption, but if they weren't flights you were already taking or you wouldn't already be doing first class, it may not be worthwhile. At the end of the day all the companies want is to make people spend more to earn more rewards. So you may overspend on a trip (or go on more trips) because of that "great deal" on the flight (which doesn't represent the whole cost of a trip).

+1

This is true. 

While one may, say, redeem a first class flight to London valued at $12,000, the true value is much less, since a person would never be willing to pay that price.  If a person doesn't value it at all, I'd argue $500 cash is worth more than the flight.

Message 25 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1

This is true. 

While one may, say, redeem a first class flight to London valued at $12,000, the true value is much less, since a person would never be willing to pay that price.  If a person doesn't value it at all, I'd argue $500 cash is worth more than the flight.

+1 

That old saying applies 

Value is in the eye of the beholder 

What's valuable to me maybe worthless to someone else 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1

This is true. 

+2

Message 27 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Excuse me while I rant.

I have been at this game for eight years, and I have never, ever, seen a URP redemption that would work for me, other than $.01 per URP.

Yes, I've studied, I've read the how-to-manuals, looked at flyertalk and the points guy, read the bragging threads on how someone got a first-class flight to Paris on July 1 that otherwise would have cost $5,000 for only 700k URP, making a redemption value of over 7 cents per point.

But guess what? I have no desire to fly first class to Paris on July 1 for $5000, $700 or even $500.

Every time I've looked for a flight that I actually *want* to take, any flight I could actually take by converting my points to something else, resolves to far less than 1 cent per point, compared to what I could book otherwise.

The way I see it, URP may be more valuable than 1 cent per point if all of the following are true:

2. You don't care where your destination is, except that it has to be an expensive flight that you get for next to nothing.

There are two types of people. Person A will buy a $300 pair of shoes for $50 and say "Man, what a great deal I got! I got a $300 pair of shoes, with built-in GPS and step-tracking, for only $50." And there's the other type of person who said, "hey, I just got a pair of sneakers at Costco for $19.99 and got 5% cashback, so they only cost me $18.99." Person A will sniff and say, "but I saved $250, and you only saved $1, and my shoes are so much cooler." Person B will say "but I paid $18.99 for a pair of shoes that will serve me fine, and you paid $50, so I saved $30 more than you."

Chris.

I agree, flights, particularly first class, need to be something you would otherwise pay for to be a fair comparison. Low value flights can be "only" 1.5c per point, but even at that, the FU maps out to 1.5 points x 1.5c to $0.0225. The other important consideration for any points program is, it works best as an adjunct to points you are already earning for other travel, whether business or personal. When you've got 20,000 miles from business travel, being able to find 5,000 miles from your points card of choice to get a $400 or $500 airline ticket adds a lot of value to both earnings sources.

My goal redemption for UR points is Hyatt Escala at Park City. 15,000 points for a night, ski season rates of $500 - $600 per night, plus the Hyatt Annual Free Night can make for a nice couple of nights for double occupancy. With the FU, that's $10,000 of spend for about a $600 return, or 6%. Would I spend $600 per night? No. But being able to use the points has value that a 2% card can't provide.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom Unlimited! It's Unlimited Freedom!!
Message 29 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Excuse me while I rant.

Chris.

I agree, flights, particularly first class, need to be something you would otherwise pay for to be a fair comparison. Low value flights can be "only" 1.5c per point, but even at that, the FU maps out to 1.5 points x 1.5c to $0.0225. The other important consideration for any points program is, it works best as an adjunct to points you are already earning for other travel, whether business or personal. When you've got 20,000 miles from business travel, being able to find 5,000 miles from your points card of choice to get a $400 or $500 airline ticket adds a lot of value to both earnings sources.

My goal redemption for UR points is Hyatt Escala at Park City. 15,000 points for a night, ski season rates of $500 - $600 per night, plus the Hyatt Annual Free Night can make for a nice couple of nights for double occupancy. With the FU, that's $10,000 of spend for about a $600 return, or 6%. Would I spend $600 per night? No. But being able to use the points has value that a 2% card can't provide.

The flights don't need to be something you would otherwise pay for to be a fair comparison. The reality is you are getting a service that has a certain ticket value. If you look at first class as a product then in order to do a fair comparison you need to look at what you would pay for a first class ticket using cash back. If you want economy then you need to look at what you would pay for an economy ticket (on the same airline because service varies between airlines) vs how much a point redemption would cost you. They are all different products, but the argument that you would have to have been willing to pay for a first class ticket otherwise the value somehow doesn't count makes no sense. There are some times even with points you will do better in economy than you will with cashback, especially when it comes to longhaul international flights.It is true that if you only want to fly economy then you may be better off with cashback (this is certainly true with domestic US flights).With cashback cards you normally will not see the same value in terms of signup bonuses that you will with travel rewards cards, so that should be factored in as well. Signups are relavant here because with the ability to pool points across multiple cards into one travel partner can allow you to obtain larger redemptions. So if you have a bunch of points from a signup on another card and that card shares an airline transfer partner with chase you could combine both sets of points into one travel partner account. Something you can't do across multiple cash back cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.