Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom and Amazon GC's

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Freedom and Amazon GC's

So what is everyones take on what Chase and the Freedom will think if people use 1500$ at 10% CB on Amazon gift cards?   Think they would frown upon this?  I need to buy some stuff obviously for the holidays, but not sure how much from Amazon, but would hate to miss out on the 10% for the Cap of $1500 as I easily use that in Amazon in a fraction of a year and would be nice to get 10% back past the holidays.

Knew they really didn't care much in previous years, but since it is double last year any more scrutiny?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Freedom and Amazon GC's

I doubt that they care much as it is capped.  To be safer, don't spend $1,500 at once, but do it in two or three purchases.   Or just do it.  I reloaded my gift card balance on the 22nd using up the first $1,500 and am now buying Whole Foods gift cards in three batches of $500.

Message 2 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

I doubt that they care much as it is capped.  To be safer, don't spend $1,500 at once, but do it in two or three purchases.   Or just do it.  I reloaded my gift card balance on the 22nd using up the first $1,500 and am now buying Whole Foods gift cards in three batches of $500.

Thanks. Ya figure they wouldn't care much as they promoted buying them last year on their website although they are a bit more generous this year probably to compete with Discover.   It is capped, but sure they probably don't love seeing 1500 only on 5 or 10% category then no more spend on card...  Might throw a few non cat spend small charges as well on it.  As you stated I won't be buying big amount ones, probably smaller domination amounts on reloadable gc's or just regular ones

Message 3 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I occasionally put other purchases on there, and it's still floating a small balance transfer. I have had no problems with freedom. Since sales tax is 9.6 where I live, it's like getting items sales tax free. I do purchase food items through subscribe and save, and some honey that is better and cheaper than grocery store, so will buy a few months of gift cards for those.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

I occasionally put other purchases on there, and it's still floating a small balance transfer. I have had no problems with freedom. Since sales tax is 9.6 where I live, it's like getting items sales tax free. I do purchase food items through subscribe and save, and some honey that is better and cheaper than grocery store, so will buy a few months of gift cards for those.

Ya my tax here is 9.7 or 9.8 percent from amazon as well, crazy!  I try to buy stuff fullfilled by amazon if same price as your avoid sales tax this way, but most stuff it works out just buying from amazon.

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Ya my tax here is 9.7 or 9.8 percent from amazon as well, crazy!  I try to buy stuff fullfilled by amazon if same price as your avoid sales tax this way, but most stuff it works out just buying from amazon.

Amazon now has agreements with several states to collect sales tax, including mine (MA) and this makes it slightly less attractive than smaller online vendors.   But, habits die hard so I tend to still check Amazon first!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Amazon now has agreements with several states to collect sales tax, including mine (MA) and this makes it slightly less attractive than smaller online vendors.   But, habits die hard so I tend to still check Amazon first!

No tax for me in Maryland. Huge appeal to shop at Amazon

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

No tax for me in Maryland. Huge appeal to shop at Amazon

Tax in CA for Amazon. Trade off is that with a distribution center a town away, I sometimes get things the same day I order. Even on a Sunday. It's nuts. (Though not this week...have to wait until Friday for something ordered Tues. My how impatient I've grown.) 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

6.00% for Amazon here in Kentucky... which I didn't even realize until a few minutes ago when I ordered the $49.99 Fire tablet and paid a few extra dollars for it.

Message 9 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

This was from 2012 Think it might be higher now.  Snipit from an article I read.  Not to mention home price in Nashville are outrageous anywhere within 30 mins or less drive to work.  Me need more salary.  I believe it is a bit higher in Nashville as well.. Lets not forget the sin tax is even higher aka alcohol.   Death and taxes only two things guaranteed in life Smiley Sad

"The 7 percent state sales tax rate in Tennessee, combined with an average 2.45 percent local sales tax rate across the state, boosts the Volunteer State's sales tax rate to the highest among the 50 states with an average tax levy on purchases of 9.45 percent."

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.