Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom interest rates

tag
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Freedom interest rates

Hubby is thinking about chase freedom with the current promo. The online pre selector shows the freedom but shows a 22.99 interest rate. His scores are mid 750s. Discover just recently approved him at 13.99.
Any chance the rate will be lower when they hp? I don't want him to supply if he is getting that kind of interest rate. . Just in case there is ever a time when he would need to carry a balance.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DomoNomo
Contributor

Re: Freedom interest rates

I just did my pre-qualify through Chase and it had me down for 13.99%.  Are you sure your partner has a score in the 750's?  Mine is at 780 with EX, which is what Chase normally pulls.

Message 2 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

My Fico EQ was 784 when I applied and I got 22,99% APR....this due to the very low internal score from my app spree....it was new card #4....should have waited....the bad part is that Chase probably will never adjust it anymore...LOL
Message 3 of 10
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Hmm I think we'll check it again when his discover reports and the 3x cli reports from his au amex. Plus it just got backdated and that hasn't reported either. I like the 200 but not feeling 22.99.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 4 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

If I am not wrong, it is possible to request for an APR reduction with Chase? Not too sure if it will involve a HP though. Maybe it is something you can try ask right after you're done asking for a CLI?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ enharu
In Feb or Mar I will ask for a conversion to a Siggy and try my mission to lower the APR. Chase just approved me for the Mariott card @15,24 and 16K limit 10 days ago so my internal score must have gone up.....high APR = no interest at all for a lender...low APR = maybe some interest from me...it is all their choice Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

I know the APR on the Freedom and Slate can be adjusted. Just not too sure about whether the APR on the Marriott, CSP and other cards can be, since they have the same standard rate.

I know it is possible with Citi to lower the APR to something lower than the standard rate though.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I believe Marriott is their prime rate...so that is just perfect. ...Freedom is by far my highest APR that is why I call it "penalty APR" ....because Chase can do better if they want Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

I know the APR on the Freedom and Slate can be adjusted. Just not too sure about whether the APR on the Marriott, CSP and other cards can be, since they have the same standard rate.

I know it is possible with Citi to lower the APR to something lower than the standard rate though.

Chase is just one of those finicky lenders who won't adjust the rates, unfortunately.  They may periodically review a cardholder's account every so often but it's rarely lowered.  Usually, when the best optimal conditions occur, it's best to re-apply again and hope you get slotted with the best APR.

Message 9 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Chase is just one of those finicky lenders who won't adjust the rates, unfortunately.  They may periodically review a cardholder's account every so often but it's rarely lowered.  Usually, when the best optimal conditions occur, it's best to re-apply again and hope you get slotted with the best APR.

ah i see. thanks for the clarification.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.