Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom v IT

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Freedom v IT

@Kevinception wrote:

I already have the IT, is there really any reason to get a freedom card? Chase is my bank so i know that i get 10% more points every year and there are slight differences in the 5% categories. Any other reasons really? From what i have read, i feel the IT is the superior card over the freedom.

It's really up to you to determine if there's a reason.  I find both useful and have both (and I don't have Chase checking) but YMMV.  I think you've covered the items that most would use for comparison.  My CL's with Chase are typically higher than Discover (Discover is still less than my lowest Chase CL even after doubling the CL on my it ) but YMMV as everyone's credit and income are not indentical.  Do you ever max out the 5% categories on the it?

@Kevinception wrote:

Also, do banks (chase mostly) have a tendency to give higher credit limits based off the balance in the checking & savings accounts? (Ie. if someone has 15,000 in their accounts, would the credit limit be much higher than someone with a balance of a few thousand?)

It can help but don't rely on it.  Again, I don't have Chase checking accounts and had 2 cards issued with $25K CL's each.  Creditors aren't all identical so don't rely on generalizations either.

@bada_bing wrote:

If you play the 

UR points game with a CSP card, UR points are worth maybe $.02. So

a Freedom card can be quite a bit more valuable to some people. 

Value can vary but transferred UR points can be worth more than 1 cent/point.  If one find UR points useful then a Freedom can certainly be beneficial.

@bigblue7722 wrote:
And chase on the other hand I applied like a week before this 200 dollar deal started and they gladly gave me the deal.

That's a good point I didn't think of.  I've requested such bonuses several times and Chase has always granted them.  Based on those experiences and other forum postings they seem very amenable to such requests.

@gh17 wrote:

I don't think one's inherently better than the other overall, but one or the other might work better for a specific person.

Better is always highly subjective and always needs to be qualified (i.e. better in what way[s]?).

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.