Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing cards and accounts?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Freezing cards and accounts?

So i was just wondering which lenders allow you to freeze your card and unfreeze it when you like? I ask this because i froze my Discover card and i like the fact its frozen because it prevents me from using it (till its paid off) and prevents fradulent charges. So is there anyone else?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Freezing cards and accounts?

@Skye12329 wrote:

So i was just wondering which lenders allow you to freeze your card and unfreeze it when you like? I ask this because i froze my Discover card and i like the fact its frozen because it prevents me from using it (till its paid off) and prevents fradulent charges. So is there anyone else?

Not sure.

Why not just cut the corner of the card, or if a chip card, take a hammer or electromagnet to the chip. Best to leave the company out of these matters.

Message 2 of 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Not sure.

Why not just cut the corner of the card, or if a chip card, take a hammer or electromagnet to the chip. Best to leave the company out of these matters.

While I didn't even realize it was possible to ask a lender to freeze cards temporarily, I think it's a fine idea. Destroying the card is overkill and even traditional tricks like literally freezing the card in a glass of water may not work if you've memorized all the card data or have the card connected to PayPal, Amazon, etc.

Sorry I can't answer your question OP, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Message 3 of 5
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

You do understand you are not responsible for fraudulent charges, right? 

Message 4 of 5
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Yes I understand but for fraud charges dont they still do an investigation? Like if this would prevent me from fraud since the account would be frozen. Like im just nervous about encountering fraud and losing a investigation. Also it would prevent my bf and I from using a card. I dont want to close any due to Aaoa pruposes.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.