Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing your CRs and Timelines.

tag
travisr0
Contributor

Freezing your CRs and Timelines.

Looking to go into a deep freeze for a while and continue gardening however had a question on it maybe someone can help me out with. I understand you have to pay a fee to do so, however once the freeze is in effect will that prevent my current CC companies from pulling a SP to grant me a CLI, or Auto CLI down the road? is a CR freezing only applicable to hard pull attempts for credit?

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Freezing your CRs and Timelines.

@travisr0 wrote:

Looking to go into a deep freeze for a while and continue gardening however had a question on it maybe someone can help me out with. I understand you have to pay a fee to do so, however once the freeze is in effect will that prevent my current CC companies from pulling a SP to grant me a CLI, or Auto CLI down the road? is a CR freezing only applicable to hard pull attempts for credit?

Your current CCC can still SP you, yes a fee is involved. And yes only affects HP

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fee is 5 to 10 dollars . It won't effect your creditors but it does block report updates from places like credit seasame and credit.com .
Message 3 of 14
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I'm curious about this as well as I'm considering throwing my reports in the freezer to help curb the itch to apply for more credit. I need to garden! 

Now, I understand that your current CC companies can still SP for CLI's while frozen while all other HP's are blocked. Still, will my reports still continue to update normally though MyFICO?

Message 4 of 14
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Depending on which state you live in, there may not be a fee to freeze/unfreeze your credit reports. I live in a state where I don't pay a cent. 

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was also curious about this as well. When you want to freeze your reports you just call the individual bureau and set up a pin right?
Message 6 of 14
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@travisr0 wrote:

Do some research.  Some states require CRAs to provide security freezes free of charge.  I previously resided in IL, however I am in NC currently and there is no charge to add or temporarily remove a freeze.  

From my understanding, existing creditors will still have access to your credit reports.  I recently got the DL AMEX SkyMiles card and AMEX required that I contact them and provide them with my pin number so that they could temporarily lift the freeze to process my application.  

Additionally, when I attempt to purchae updated credit reports here via myFICO.com, I have to contact customer service for assistance.  Also, I utilize Quicken 2015 to mange my finance.  The new Credit Score feature in Quicken 2015 will not work with a credit freeze in place.  

Message 7 of 14
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

i have all 3 of my reports frozen about a yr now i think, was 10 ea, freezing does not effect current creditors, and will not have any effect on sp cli from existing cards- i just got a sp cli from discover, and i was able to get a soft cli from amx w/ no issue.  as for myfico also no effect still get updates, as well as get updates from credit karma, perhaps because i already had them set up before the freeze but dont think so, because it shows as consumer request . you will however have issues opening new accounts, including bank accounts even if you have a relationship w/ them. if they try to do a pull you have to lift the freeze which cost 10 bucks, as others have said it varies by state

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 8 of 14
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Was also curious about this as well. When you want to freeze your reports you just call the individual bureau and set up a pin right?

I did everything online.  Once you add a freeze, you will be given a PIN.  With this PIN, you can log in online anytime to temporarily or permanently remove the freeze.

Message 9 of 14
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

i have all 3 of my reports frozen about a yr now i think, was 10 ea, freezing does not effect current creditors, and will not have any effect on sp cli from existing cards- i just got a sp cli from discover, and i was able to get a soft cli from amx w/ no issue.  as for myfico also no effect still get updates, as well as get updates from credit karma, perhaps because i already had them set up before the freeze but dont think so, because it shows as consumer request . you will however have issues opening new accounts, including bank accounts even if you have a relationship w/ them. if they try to do a pull you have to lift the freeze which cost 10 bucks, as others have said it varies by state

@phillyguy12 - are you able to purchase reports from TransUnion or Experian with no problem?  ScoreWatch works fine.  However, when I attempt to refresh my TransUnion and Experian reports - I always have to contact myFICO.com to push everything through.  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.