cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency of CLI requests? Is it just me or is Amex extremely strict?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Frequency of CLI requests? Is it just me or is Amex extremely strict?

I would say they are strict. I've had an Amex card since 2005. Perfect payment history and no balance. I have been given no CLI ever.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, so I called Amex up and got them to lower my purchase APR from a deadbeat penalty rate of 27% (this was all as a result of a 2 day late mail in payment 14 months ago!!) to a still scandalous 17% (fed rate + 12.7%).  At least they lowered it, and the CSR couldnt understand why I had such a high rate either.

I also reqeusted a conservative CLI from $1700 to $3000 ($1300 increase).  They couldnt give a solid answer on whether it would result in a hard of soft inquiry, and said I didnt want a hard inquiry.  I asked her to put in the request and she asked a couple income and address verification questions and it was approved immediately.  Finally.

I know they primarily use Exp and I use some Exp credit monitoring services... so far have seen no hard inquiries pop up.  I'll have to check again tomorrow, but so far it looks good!   I'm still not totally satisfied with them as a credit card provider, but I'm happy I could get turn that nasty card into something that I could have practical uses for.

@ time of call, payments all on time 12months,  $48 balance on a $1700.00 line of credit (~3%)

Message 12 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Are you still happy with this card?

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 13 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I know they primarily use Exp and I use some Exp credit monitoring services... so far have seen no hard inquiries pop up.  I'll have to check again tomorrow, but so far it looks good!    

Congrats on your CLI!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of things. First, if Amex or any CCC needs to hard you, they must get your permission before doing so. Next, if Amex harded you, it would be on your report(s) by now. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blacklotus wrote:

I can't say I've ever been totally happy with it, as I've always felt that the amount of credit and the terms they provided didn't quite commensurate with both my ability to pay (as my credit history would indicate), and my proven ability via actual payment history with them (had the card 3 years, paying over minimum on time every time, with the exception of one barely late pymt being 2 days after).

They are the service provider and it's ultimately their call, but other credit card companies I do business with have been a lot friendlier.

It's probably a good card to have, just so I have one from each major card company (Amex, Visa, MC), and I hope it can perform better in the future so that I can be more in tune with the whole "don't leave home without it" thing.  For now WFB Visa is my go to card for big purchases and emergencies.  I had somewhat of a fortuitous experience with my WFB Visa where I had just doubled my LOC to $10k, and the next day, my cat got very sick and incurred a huge vet bill that I couldn't possibly pay in cash.  I was fortunate to have a higher LOC available so that I had some credit to spare without becoming to overutilized.

Message 15 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blacklotus wrote:

I can't say I've ever been totally happy with it, as I've always felt that the amount of credit and the terms they provided didn't quite commensurate with both my ability to pay (as my credit history would indicate), and my proven ability via actual payment history with them (had the card 3 years, paying over minimum on time every time, with the exception of one barely late pymt being 2 days after).

They are the service provider and it's ultimately their call, but other credit card companies I do business with have been a lot friendlier.

It's probably a good card to have, just so I have one from each major card company (Amex, Visa, MC), and I hope it can perform better in the future so that I can be more in tune with the whole "don't leave home without it" thing.  For now WFB Visa is my go to card for big purchases and emergencies.  I had somewhat of a fortuitous experience with my WFB Visa where I had just doubled my LOC to $10k, and the next day, my cat got very sick and incurred a huge vet bill that I couldn't possibly pay in cash.  I was fortunate to have a higher LOC available so that I had some credit to spare without becoming to overutilized.

Amex historically has a preference for PIF customers.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 16 of 19
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say they are strict. I've had an Amex card since 2005. Perfect payment history and no balance. I have been given no CLI ever.

Asteroid, not enough details, but with AMEX I have found they don't do CLIs automatically, you have to ask for them periodically... you may have tried this...

Message 17 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amex likes card holders who charge, charge, charge...then, PIF, PIF, PIF. Or at the very least, charge a lot and make big payments. This will lead to CLIs when you ask for them.

Message 18 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@fused wrote:

Amex likes card holders who charge, charge, charge...then, PIF, PIF, PIF. Or at the very least, charge a lot and make big payments. This will lead to Clips when you ask for them.

Agreed but I was surprised that I received a CLI on request recently because it was an acct that had been hit with AA and I had just recently PIF a balance that I had been paying down aggressively (while making only nominal charges)  I'm sure not nearly fast enough for Amex, I think they're in a generous mood lately.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.