Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh File, which cards to app for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fresh File, which cards to app for?

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides does he really need an Amex PRG that is going to be costing him 195 a year, after 12m? I know I do not. 

He spends alot in those categories and travels frequently so the sign up bonus would help him greatly when transferred to delta at a 1:1 ratio.

Message 41 of 94
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Id wait for his score to generate.. and id tend to go for the Discover... Also if hes a student id apply for a student card.. Looking at your profile... I really hope your not doing this to add yourself as an AU to his accounts.... And remember the PRG is a charge card not a revolver.... Chase likes 1 to 2 years of established credit history. Discover will take a chance and sometimes is generous for new starter CLs .. But even they like having a score at least generate ..... 

Message 42 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Id wait for his score to generate.. and id tend to go for the Discover... Also if hes a student id apply for a student card.. Looking at your profile... I really hope your not doing this to add yourself as an AU to his accounts.... And remember the PRG is a charge card not a revolver.... Chase likes 1 to 2 years of established credit history. Discover will take a chance and sometimes is generous for new starter CLs .. But even they like having a score at least generate ..... 

Okay good to know. He was looking at the Discover it Chrome for students and he knows the PRG isn't a credit card but a charge card. I will not be an AU on his cards, I'm seeking advice since he asked me for help and he has learned his good credit habits from my past mistakes. So you recommend not apping for anything until a score generates? because I see on here that people do get the discover student card as a first card with no history at all

Message 43 of 94
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How are the Citi and BOA student credit card? I've read mixed thoughts on both, some say its easy for students to get others say its difficult?

Not sure about those two, but my daughter got a Wells Fargo student card with no prior credit. This was in branch, with a checking account already underway.

I'd have to agree with others to recommend go slowly here. Sure, the PRG is sexy, but it's expensive. Quicksilver is no AF, for the right version, no FTF, and easy earnings. Others that have heavy marketing, someone pays for that. Freedom card? At the very least he gets direct feedback.

Credit is a marathon, not a sprint, so take the starting line slowly. Very slowly.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 44 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How are the Citi and BOA student credit card? I've read mixed thoughts on both, some say its easy for students to get others say its difficult?

Not sure about those two, but my daughter got a Wells Fargo student card with no prior credit. This was in branch, with a checking account already underway.

I'd have to agree with others to recommend go slowly here. Sure, the PRG is sexy, but it's expensive. Quicksilver is no AF, for the right version, no FTF, and easy earnings. Others that have heavy marketing, someone pays for that. Freedom card? At the very least he gets direct feedback.

Credit is a marathon, not a sprint, so take the starting line slowly. Very slowly.

do you recommend the QS or QS1?

Message 45 of 94
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Heres the thing.. if you do apply for a student Discover barring he has established savings and checking accounts, Discover will attempt to use an expansion score and its very likely he may get a card.. BUT.. it really is worth the wait for a score to generate. its only a month or so (it really does usually take 6months .. mine did)..  They were using L2C but not sure since L2C was bought out by one of the big 3.. I would not bother with Chase, Citi, Amex ... Might get a Cap 1.. but get the discover first...

Discovers bipolarness works to his advantage... =) 

Quicksilver is less likely but the better card,, QS1 oftentimes has an Annual Fee... but better odds of obtaining it... BUT C1 will do a 3 HP.. and you need a score generating for that... 

-J

Message 46 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also for a student card, don't they require verification of enrollment? He graduated early last month and doesn't start college until September, he has already been accepted to his school and has the acceptance letter if that counts as verification?

Message 47 of 94
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Some places require a copy of a student id or schedule.. Discover took a friend of mine at their word... YMMV

Someone can chime in if they know the current policy on this...

Message 48 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Heres the thing.. if you do apply for a student Discover barring he has established savings and checking accounts, Discover will attempt to use an expansion score and its very likely he may get a card.. BUT.. it really is worth the wait for a score to generate. its only a month or so (it really does usually take 6months .. mine did)..  They were using L2C but not sure since L2C was bought out by one of the big 3.. I would not bother with Chase, Citi, Amex ... Might get a Cap 1.. but get the discover first...

Discovers bipolarness works to his advantage... =) 

Quicksilver is less likely but the better card,, QS1 oftentimes has an Annual Fee... but better odds of obtaining it... BUT C1 will do a 3 HP.. and you need a score generating for that... 

-J

what is L2C? What information does it go by?

Message 49 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

My two cents here. I personally think he's an AU on too many accounts. I would take him off the store cards. And just keep him on the three majors - more is not always better, especially since the limits are low.

I would suggest Discover Student, Freedom (in branch with banker help) and Cap1 (Journey or Platinum or QS1). Then wait six months, remove all the AU accounts and see where his scores are. Let these three age together and if still had a need for the Amex, do it at the 1 year mark.
Message 50 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.