Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh File, which cards to app for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fresh File, which cards to app for?

I looked into the chase freedom, and if you have no or limited credit history and have over 10K in an account the banker can file a special consideration form, I will pass this info on to my son so he can apply for that but which cap one seems best for an approval?

Message 61 of 94
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked into the chase freedom, and if you have no or limited credit history and have over 10K in an account the banker can file a special consideration form, I will pass this info on to my son so he can apply for that but which cap one seems best for an approval?

There ya go.

For Capital One, I would suggest keeping it simple and apply for the Platinum card. No annual fee, no rewards to speak of, but it would have Credit Steps, so the initial credit line can grow after the first 5 statements. It provides a foundation of credit experience with Capital One.

It seems there was a report of another new Capital One product, which started at a low CL, not really secured, but Contingent. As the cardholder uses the card, it gradually increases the credit line, but it watches the payments closely and can be shut down in case of any missed payments. Still, it's a way to get started with a card with minimal fuss. I don't recall the marketing name for it, it had as a requirement no other Capital One cards (so it could be only a First Capital One card for the cardholder).

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 62 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the plat be upgraded later? One of his friends apped for QS and got approved with no history at all, but he said he will go app for freedom next week and make sure the banker fills out the special consideration form. I saw online that the form basically guarantees approval unless you have bad derogs on your report, also people have apped with 0 history with the form and got a $500 cl

Message 63 of 94
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So would it make a difference if he waits for a score to generate to apply for amex? I know they're random when it comes to thin files, I just dont want him to apply and get denied. I also know how badly he wants the PRG. If he apps next weeks with a 5 month history does he have a chance? would his chances greatly improve when a score generates next month? or would it not make that big of a difference

I would wait until he has scores on all 3 bureaus and then app for all the cards on the same day one after the other. Cap One usually pulls reports from all 3 bureaus, Discover pulls Experian mostly, and Amex also pulls Experian. I do not agree with going in to a branch for Chase because the banker will definitely make him fill out an application and he lose an inquiry. Chase does like to see at least one year history. For optimal fico scoring, he would need to have at least 3 credit cards in his name. If i were him, i would wait for a month and pull a 3 bureau credit report here on fico, and make sure i have a score on all 3 bureaus. Then plan a mini app spree, and execute it. If he decides to app for Cap One, then why not apply for 2 cards at the same time and get only one inquiry? None of the credit cards that he wants pull Transunion except cap one, why not add Barclay to the list and get the Rewards MC, nice card, decent starting limits, and easier to get approved compared to Chase.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 64 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So would it make a difference if he waits for a score to generate to apply for amex? I know they're random when it comes to thin files, I just dont want him to apply and get denied. I also know how badly he wants the PRG. If he apps next weeks with a 5 month history does he have a chance? would his chances greatly improve when a score generates next month? or would it not make that big of a difference

I would wait until he has scores on all 3 bureaus and then app for all the cards on the same day one after the other. Cap One usually pulls reports from all 3 bureaus, Discover pulls Experian mostly, and Amex also pulls Experian. I do not agree with going in to a branch for Chase because the banker will definitely make him fill out an application and he lose an inquiry. Chase does like to see at least one year history. For optimal fico scoring, he would need to have at least 3 credit cards in his name. If i were him, i would wait for a month and pull a 3 bureau credit report here on fico, and make sure i have a score on all 3 bureaus. Then plan a mini app spree, and execute it. If he decides to app for Cap One, then why not apply for 2 cards at the same time and get only one inquiry? None of the credit cards that he wants pull Transunion except cap one, why not add Barclay to the list and get the Rewards MC, nice card, decent starting limits, and easier to get approved compared to Chase.

After doing a lot of research many many many chase customers get approved for the freedom with little to no history as long as the banker fills out a special consideration form which requires a balance of at least 10,000 in their established chase account. He has been banking with chase and plans to app for freedom next week and wait for a fico for the rest

Message 65 of 94
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

After doing a lot of research many many many chase customers get approved for the freedom with little to no history as long as the banker fills out a special consideration form which requires a balance of at least 10,000 in their established chase account. He has been banking with chase and plans to app for freedom next week and wait for a fico for the rest

I saw the  post on top about the special consideratio form after i posted Smiley Happy Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 66 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will definitely update with any results he gets. I am hoping that chase is an easy process for him and although I doubt it, I hope it is instant because he is leaving for vacation a few days after so he won't be able to go back to the branch until he returns

Message 67 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

I obtained Discover it, cap one journey, Amex te right when I turned 18 last year in July. I only read the first page and something I REALLY disagree with is "getting too many cards won't help in the long run"
This is entirely false because it will build your aaoa to the point where it will not matter when you get new accounts in let's say 10 years later. Pm me if you want to know about any of my experiences.

All the cards in my signature were obtained within 5 months of me turning 18. None are AU.
Message 68 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw someone recommend cap one plat.

Don't do this.

Get the journey card which gives 1.25%. I upgraded mine to a full quicksilver (1.5% rewards) within a month. ---it also includes credit steps.

edit: saw posts above re freedom card. I app'd with no history when I turned 18 and got declined. However, I got accepted with a massive limit 5 months later. $16k for freedom and 15k for aarp 

Message 69 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just saw someone recommend cap one plat.

Don't do this.

Get the journey card which gives 1.25%. I upgraded mine to a full quicksilver (1.5% rewards) within a month. ---it also includes credit steps.

edit: saw posts above re freedom card. I app'd with no history when I turned 18 and got declined. However, I got accepted with a massive limit 5 months later. $16k for freedom and 15k for aarp 

Freedom was brought up because they make exeptions for chase customers with a balance over 10,000. With that exception many have been approved with little to no history at all, the only thing is I remember in your prior posts, the AU account you were on were much much older than the accounts my son is on. None of his are over 6 months

Message 70 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.