Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh File, which cards to app for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fresh File, which cards to app for?

Right, I just wanted to give you my experience for that card Smiley Happy

and yes yes that is true but age is only one factor--it also doesn't matter when a manual review is done cause they just say "I see you have no accounts of your own" blah blah

Message 71 of 94
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I obtained Discover it, cap one journey, Amex te right when I turned 18 last year in July. I only read the first page and something I REALLY disagree with is "getting too many cards won't help in the long run"
This is entirely false because it will build your aaoa to the point where it will not matter when you get new accounts in let's say 10 years later. Pm me if you want to know about any of my experiences.

All the cards in my signature were obtained within 5 months of me turning 18. None are AU.

Monoglot, i totally agree with you. Especially in the case of building / rebuilding status, this is one way to go. Instead of opening a  new account or to every 6 months, better to open so many and let them all age at the same time. I have been rebuilding my credit since may last year and when i started i had a few collections, $500 secured credit card and thats it. Socres right 500 fico. Now, i have a total of 30 accounts with $60K revolving credit and fico right at 700/720 and no AU. Because i had only couple accounts, i did not have to worry about my AAoA, but now i am building it pretty solid. You dont have to go as far as 10 years,  even 2 years down the road, i can open 3 accounts the same day and it won't even touch my AAoA. Even though majority of the people seem to be against this, sometimes this is the only way to go especially if you are not looking to apply for mortgage and such in the near future.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 72 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so he is going to chase tomorrow morning, after research the form from chase works 99% of the time but with no history he will get a 500-1000 limit which he is fine with. So He can get in the door with chase. After more research discover does like thin files for the student and regular it card. My question is, should he apply for the regular it or the student? He has been accepted to college but doesn't start till fall so he has no student schedule or ID his only proof of enrollment would be his acceptance letter. 

Message 73 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

He apped for discover 1st, 5-7 day message and says to call an analyst to speed up the process. ( he will call when they open in the morning) Approved for Cap one QS1 for $500, Cap one journey for $500 and Apped for Amex everyday, pending 14 day message. He will still go to chase in the morning. Any idea if these messages lead to an approval?

Message 74 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover countered with a joint app. he just called amex and the woman said that is in pending status and being reviweded by the executive team, he will hear back in 3-5 days.

Message 75 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex declined, chase robo lady says 30 days (usually a good sign) He brought up the special form to the banker but is unaware if she did fill it out. 

Message 76 of 94
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Please keep us updated on the chase. Fingers crossed for him.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 77 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Automated system went to 7-10 days, he spoke to someone who transferred him to lending who said the app is still pending, there is no decision yet but due to his age a letter was sent out for him to sign and return (sounds like address verification) would they go through all this trouble to deny him?

Message 78 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called back to see if this can be done in the branch, the woman from lending told him that unfortunately it cant, he asked her what the "letter" is and she said it is a paper copy of application, they need his signature due to his age. He asked if his application was processed yet and she said that his credit review was done and the application is recommended for approval they just need his signature, so he will get that to them as soon as possible.

Message 79 of 94
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sounds like he's making good progress.

With the apping options, once one decides to app on-line, generally need to stay in the on-line /mail paper / fax mode. If started in the branch, then the branch contact would probably have more input.

Let us know how it turns out!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 80 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.