Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Navy Fed account. How long before app for CC

tag
TheFlores
Contributor

Re: Fresh Navy Fed account. How long before app for CC

Ok so i cant apply for a card on my own since im not the primary account owner.  at least that is what its telling me.  wil my wifes bad credit stop a approval for me if im a joint applicant.  Or can i get a seperate account ?/

Message 11 of 18
firetech593
Regular Contributor

I guess it goes by the membership requirements. If you are eligible, and open your own to make your wife AU.

Message 12 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Open your own account with your wife as the sponsor. Then apply. I don't recommend joint applications.

Open both saving and checking accounts, if you try to add the checking later it will be a HP so might aswell do both in case you decide to use it later.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 13 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@TheFlores wrote:

Ok so i cant apply for a card on my own since im not the primary account owner.  at least that is what its telling me.  wil my wifes bad credit stop a approval for me if im a joint applicant.  Or can i get a seperate account ?/

You can have a joint credit card and joint checking line of credit if you want but I would also open your own account and get a credit card on your own at minimum.

Message 14 of 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@TheFlores wrote:

You can have a joint credit card and joint checking line of credit if you want but I would also open your own account and get a credit card on your own at minimum.

lol definitely listen to CA! They are navy fed expert.

Message 15 of 18
TheFlores
Contributor

So I'm getting my own account today. Few questions, is a checking account a hard pull. If I apply for nav check and flagship will they be seperate pulls ?
Message 16 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@TheFlores wrote:
So I'm getting my own account today. Few questions, is a checking account a hard pull. If I apply for nav check and flagship will they be seperate pulls ?

checking account won't be hp because you have membership already.

credit card and navcheck will each be a hp (well worth it!)

Message 17 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

They did HP me when I added a checking account. It was a day after joining. That's when I knew all bets are off with Navy as far as HPs go, if you wonder if it will be a HP, it will be.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.