cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

@MrShush wrote:

So I log in today and see a balance of $95--the amount of the annual fee. I thought it was waived for the first year. Do I call...I should just pay it, right?

I'd call and check. My impression was that the annual fee is waived for the first year for the Gold, but not for the Green. (And certainly not for the Plat.) But I'm not sure about the Green. They might waive it anyway who knows.

And good grief, break the poor thing in! Take all the Shushes out for dinner tonight! Let someone else do the cooking and washing up. Smiley Very Happy

Really, they don't bite. Just don't go bonkers, at least not initially.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I'll break the card in next month when we go on vacation. As for the AF, I received 2 offers for that Green card, one says no AF for the first year, the other doesn't mention any waiving. I'm paying right now.

Message 32 of 61
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List..Is it cool to have more than 1 card?

A few replies back I read that if you have an Amex card that's let say was opened in 1996 and you open another card with them it will automatically back date to 1996 as well? So even though you just opened it it will show its 14 years old?

Credit conscience!
Message 33 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List..Is it cool to have more than 1 card?

@michaels88369 wrote:

A few replies back I read that if you have an Amex card that's let say was opened in 1996 and you open another card with them it will automatically back date to 1996 as well? So even though you just opened it it will show its 14 years old?

The cards says Member Since 10, but on their website it says Memeber Since 1996. I guess, if I wanted my card to say so, I could call and ask for them to send me a replacement backdated card, but I don't want to stir up any trouble. Having said that, I really would love if the card reports as a 14 year old trade.

Message 34 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

My statement just ended and payment is due August 8--any idea how long until it reports?! I'm getting anxious.

Message 35 of 61
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MrShush wrote:

My statement just ended and payment is due August 8--any idea how long until it reports?! I'm getting anxious.

In the past, AmEx cards didn't update until 4 weeks after the statement dropped. Within the last 6-8 months or so (longer? not much), many of the revolvers started updating right after the statement dropped. But the charge cards didn't seem to change, and not all of the revolvers did.

So you might well have to wait >4 weeks to see it show up: right at 4 weeks on EX, and another 5-10 days, depending on the phase of the moon and whether anything good is on TV, for EQ and TU. This is why it was always such a pain to have a balance on an AmEx statement. It would take almost two months to have a $0 balance display again.

Anyway, it will turn up eventually. Perhaps just not in any time frame that normal folks like us understand. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 36 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

In the past, AmEx cards didn't update until 4 weeks after the statement dropped. Within the last 6-8 months or so (longer? not much), many of the revolvers started updating right after the statement dropped. But the charge cards didn't seem to change, and not all of the revolvers did.

So you might well have to wait >4 weeks to see it show up: right at 4 weeks on EX, and another 5-10 days, depending on the phase of the moon and whether anything good is on TV, for EQ and TU. This is why it was always such a pain to have a balance on an AmEx statement. It would take almost two months to have a $0 balance display again.

Anyway, it will turn up eventually. Perhaps just not in any time frame that normal folks like us understand. Smiley Tongue

You are a funny lady! I guess I'll be waiting until September for my reports to update. I have little patience for these things anymore.

Message 37 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

So just thought I'd update. First, it still is not reporting. Second, I used the card only to pay my cell phone bill *whoop-de-do*. Third, I was poking around on the AMEX site today and there was an offer to upgrade to a Gold. Is it worth it? Should I not be messing around with things yet?

Message 38 of 61
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

So just thought I'd update. First, it still is not reporting. Second, I used the card only to pay my cell phone bill *whoop-de-do*. Third, I was poking around on the AMEX site today and there was an offer to upgrade to a Gold. Is it worth it? Should I not be messing around with things yet?

Please USE the card Mr. Shush.  It is essential that you show you can use it liberally and pay back in full early on to reestablish a strong payment history.  IMO you don't

have the luxury of treating this like an SD card if you want to quickly reestablish yourself as a preferred card holder.

Based on your reported use the Gold would be a waste of money.

Unless you can get your money's worth back on rewards to recoup the AF and some, no point in 'upgrade'. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 39 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Please USE the card Mr. Shush.  It is essential that you show you can use it liberally and pay back in full early on to reestablish a strong payment history.  IMO you don't

have the luxury of treating this like an SD card if you want to quickly reestablish yourself as a preferred card holder.

Based on your reported use the Gold would be a waste of money.

Unless you can get your money's worth back on rewards to recoup the AF and some, no point in 'upgrade'. 

SD card?

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.