cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

Senior Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?


txjohn wrote:

My apologies before, I didn't pay attention to what B-Lister meant...and did not understant that OP had a previous CO unsettled.

 

However, regardless of what future action AMEX takes, you now have a new 14-15 year old TL on your CR and that isn't going away even if they cancel down the road.  If closed you'll still get the benefit of the TL and AAoA for up to 10 years...so that really is the worst case.

 

Best case....you have an AMEX and they let you keep it long term.  I would use it...don't spend lavishly...use it with some conservatism and way within your application stated income and always pay on time.

 

You really can't go wrong here...you have an account that you shouldn't really have gotten, so however long it lasts...you are ahead.

 

Good luck

 

txjohn


It would be interesting to see what AmEx would do in a case where one slipped through the b-list cracks and ultimately AmEx discovered their error afterwards.  I don't think they are obligated to maintain the TL, but wonder what exactly they would do.

IAALBNYL
Message 21 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

Sounds like your covering all you're bases--now that you've received positive feedback about your current internal limit, cool it.  IMO better to limit use of the check spending ability button, esp. as a new customer.

 

Use it if really needed or infrequently, but don't start out of the box with excessive check spending ability 'test runs'.  No big whoop generally but they track everything and anything that could be considered iffy behavior in the slightest seems to be magnified on new accts IME.

 

I had an acct go bad around 20 yrs ago and currently have 3 amexes w/o incident (besides AA/ CLD in '08 since partially reversed) there have been others with similar experience to mine discussed on the boards.

 

Though 'YMMV' is the rule of thumb, it is not altogether uncommon to get back with amex after things headed south many moons ago, and even though they have a long memory.  You'll be safe Smiley Wink

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 22 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List:Is it cool to have more than 1 card?

I am shocked and surprised, paranoid, happy and excited, fearful, hopeful...shall I continue? Blacklist or no, my run in with them was 14 years ago and I honestly have no recollection of how it all went down. I couldn't tell you if I owed or settled or anything! Those were my party days--long nights and a whole lot of debauchery. I am looking for feedback and I have received. I won't do anything [more] to draw attention (check spending, check preapprovals). I don't spend recklessly anymore or partake of the nightlife. I'm a responsible, tax paying, credit worthy individual. For as long as I have the card and my relationship with American Express, I will treat them with the respect they deserve and what ever happens, happens. I won't be a cry-baby hater if the worst happens and they axe me. I won't post about how they are the most evil of companies. If all goes the way I hope and our relationship has been righted, I will handle with care and love Smiley Very Happy

 

Message 23 of 61
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List:Is it cool to have more than 1 card?

 


MrShush wrote:

I am shocked and surprised, paranoid, happy and excited, fearful, hopeful...shall I continue? Blacklist or no, my run in with them was 14 years ago and I honestly have no recollection of how it all went down. I couldn't tell you if I owed or settled or anything! Those were my party days--long nights and a whole lot of debauchery. I am looking for feedback and I have received. I won't do anything [more] to draw attention (check spending, check preapprovals). I don't spend recklessly anymore or partake of the nightlife. I'm a responsible, tax paying, credit worthy individual. For as long as I have the card and my relationship with American Express, I will treat them with the respect they deserve and what ever happens, happens. I won't be a cry-baby hater if the worst happens and they axe me. I won't post about how they are the most evil of companies. If all goes the way I hope and our relationship has been righted, I will handle with care and love Smiley Very Happy

 


MrShush, congrats on your return to the Amex fold.  As far as the Amex B-List, there are several RECENT comments by others on the other big credit board who BK'd Amex or had an unpaid CO in years past, and were able to get another Amex without settling up that old account.  So I'd say you did not just "slip through", and are going to be fine.  Use your card, enjoy the benefits, and all is well.  Smiley Happy

 

Message 24 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List:Is it cool to have more than 1 card?

 


TangMeister wrote:

 


MrShush, congrats on your return to the Amex fold.  As far as the Amex B-List, there are several RECENT comments by others on the other big credit board who BK'd Amex or had an unpaid CO in years past, and were able to get another Amex without settling up that old account.  So I'd say you did not just "slip through", and are going to be fine.  Use your card, enjoy the benefits, and all is well.  Smiley Happy

 


Thanks, man, that's comforting Smiley Very Happy

 

Message 25 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?


O6 wrote:

txjohn wrote:

My apologies before, I didn't pay attention to what B-Lister meant...and did not understant that OP had a previous CO unsettled.

 

However, regardless of what future action AMEX takes, you now have a new 14-15 year old TL on your CR and that isn't going away even if they cancel down the road.  If closed you'll still get the benefit of the TL and AAoA for up to 10 years...so that really is the worst case.

 

Best case....you have an AMEX and they let you keep it long term.  I would use it...don't spend lavishly...use it with some conservatism and way within your application stated income and always pay on time.

 

You really can't go wrong here...you have an account that you shouldn't really have gotten, so however long it lasts...you are ahead.

 

Good luck

 

txjohn


It would be interesting to see what AmEx would do in a case where one slipped through the b-list cracks and ultimately AmEx discovered their error afterwards.  I don't think they are obligated to maintain the TL, but wonder what exactly they would do.


While there is no obligation for a lender to report, there is an obligation to report by agreement with the CBR's.  As a "subscriber" they agree to supply their account/credit experience with their customers.

 

Also, AMEX is so big, they are automated in reporting.  It would take an exception to remove the TL all together, which if they closed, that would be one thing.  But I think it would be highly unlikely to delete the TL and its activity completely.  IMO, but seems to reason.

 

Also, if the card is used for 2+ months and there is spending and payments...there is a legitimate account to report useage...even if closed by grantor.

 

IMO

txjohn

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator


09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Message 26 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

...still haven't used it yet.

 

I'm afraid Smiley Indifferent

Message 27 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

Mr. Shush better to use it Smiley Very Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 28 of 61
Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

 


MrShush wrote:

...still haven't used it yet.

 

I'm afraid Smiley Indifferent


give it to me, I'll use it! Smiley Wink

 


Starting Score: 626 (July '10)
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

So I log in today and see a balance of $95--the amount of the annual fee. I thought it was waived for the first year. Do I call...I should just pay it, right?

Message 30 of 61