cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

Senior Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE


MrShush wrote:

So I dusted it off for a vacation to San Diego. Used it a couple of times at a cigar bar and for a really nice dinner out with my better half. No worries! Paid off the charges immediately yesterday. No points yet and still no bureau updates! grrr....

 

Wait! I refreshed my TU report on True Credit and it shows with an open date of  06/27/1996! No Score Watch alert so I pulled a new EQ report and I have a 31 point increase! My oldest account was opened now 14 years 2 months ago, but my AAoA is only 3 years. I am happy!


Mr. Sush, you DA MAN!  Congratulations!!

 

 

IAALBNYL
Message 51 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE

 


O6 wrote:

MrShush wrote:

So I dusted it off for a vacation to San Diego. Used it a couple of times at a cigar bar and for a really nice dinner out with my better half. No worries! Paid off the charges immediately yesterday. No points yet and still no bureau updates! grrr....

 

Wait! I refreshed my TU report on True Credit and it shows with an open date of  06/27/1996! No Score Watch alert so I pulled a new EQ report and I have a 31 point increase! My oldest account was opened now 14 years 2 months ago, but my AAoA is only 3 years. I am happy!


Mr. Sush, you DA MAN!  Congratulations!!

 

 


Thanks 06, I'm certainly feeling that way right about now Smiley Happy It actually feels like an accomplishment as well as a gift to have all those years under my belt. Thanks AMEX--you're the BEST!

 

Message 52 of 61
Valued Member

Re: CR UPDATE

My Zync card still is not reporting. I too am expecting a boost in scores once AMEX starts reporting the card with a 1991 opened date. Like MrShush, I too still owe some money to AMEX from 1997 (Long story; I will never again will do a AU for anyone). Don't remeber how much it was because it was a CO settlement offer that I aggreed to and had to do it through a CA. But now that I am in the good graces of AMEX I will charge within my means for a awhile and then at some point in the future I will offer to pay the rest of that CO if it is still in the books somewhere. The way I look at it is I will rebuild my relationship with them before offering to pay. Maybe they will be more forgiving and accommodating due to the new relationship.

3/24/2008: EQ (621), EX (615), TU (649)
6/19/09: EQ (682), TU (692)
9/8/2010: EQ (699), EX (716), TU (707)
Message 53 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

Points lag ymo corporate card statement by one billing period - they use them as a way to incent prompt payment - they suspend the points if you use the full grace period - and then charge fees to reinstate the points.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 54 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE


MrShush wrote:

 


O6 wrote:

MrShush wrote:

So I dusted it off for a vacation to San Diego. Used it a couple of times at a cigar bar and for a really nice dinner out with my better half. No worries! Paid off the charges immediately yesterday. No points yet and still no bureau updates! grrr....

 

Wait! I refreshed my TU report on True Credit and it shows with an open date of  06/27/1996! No Score Watch alert so I pulled a new EQ report and I have a 31 point increase! My oldest account was opened now 14 years 2 months ago, but my AAoA is only 3 years. I am happy!


Mr. Sush, you DA MAN!  Congratulations!!

 

 


Thanks 06, I'm certainly feeling that way right about now Smiley Happy It actually feels like an accomplishment as well as a gift to have all those years under my belt. Thanks AMEX--you're the BEST!

 


Mr. Shush, just a thought ... did you notice whether AmEx had stopped softing you regularly before being able to slip through the blacklist?

 

Normally they soft everybody onthe blacklist a few times a month.  I wonder if they soft current cardholders less than blacklistees?  If there isn't some way to tell by the # of softs whether or not one is still blacklisted?

IAALBNYL
Message 55 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE

 


O6 wrote:

Mr. Shush, just a thought ... did you notice whether AmEx had stopped softing you regularly before being able to slip through the blacklist?

Normally they soft everybody onthe blacklist a few times a month.  I wonder if they soft current cardholders less than blacklistees?  If there isn't some way to tell by the # of softs whether or not one is still blacklisted?


I can't say whether they have softed me less or not. I don't get EX reports that show me the softs, but the last one that I looked at, probably 4 months ago, the was a few AMEX hit on for AR and PRM.

 

@chasmith: I definitely see a lag in points accrual. In August, for example, there were a few hundred points but they don't show in that section on the main page under membership rewards. They are in the there, but I have to do some digging around to find them. But the good news is, they are willing to front me 15,000!

 

Message 56 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE


MrShush wrote:

 


O6 wrote:

Mr. Shush, just a thought ... did you notice whether AmEx had stopped softing you regularly before being able to slip through the blacklist?

Normally they soft everybody onthe blacklist a few times a month.  I wonder if they soft current cardholders less than blacklistees?  If there isn't some way to tell by the # of softs whether or not one is still blacklisted?


I can't say whether they have softed me less or not. I don't get EX reports that show me the softs, but the last one that I looked at, probably 4 months ago, the was a few AMEX hit on for AR and PRM.

 

@chasmith: I definitely see a lag in points accrual. In August, for example, there were a few hundred points but they don't show in that section on the main page under membership rewards. They are in the there, but I have to do some digging around to find them. But the good news is, they are willing to front me 15,000!

 


Can you clarify...is this a sign on bonus, etc.?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 57 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE

 


score_building wrote:

MrShush wrote:

 


O6 wrote:

Mr. Shush, just a thought ... did you notice whether AmEx had stopped softing you regularly before being able to slip through the blacklist?

Normally they soft everybody onthe blacklist a few times a month.  I wonder if they soft current cardholders less than blacklistees?  If there isn't some way to tell by the # of softs whether or not one is still blacklisted?


I can't say whether they have softed me less or not. I don't get EX reports that show me the softs, but the last one that I looked at, probably 4 months ago, the was a few AMEX hit on for AR and PRM.

 

@chasmith: I definitely see a lag in points accrual. In August, for example, there were a few hundred points but they don't show in that section on the main page under membership rewards. They are in the there, but I have to do some digging around to find them. But the good news is, they are willing to front me 15,000!

 


Can you clarify...is this a sign on bonus, etc.?


No, it isn't a sign on bonus, it's just there as an advance. The catch is I have to accrue enough points over the next 12 months or else I'll be charged for them. My August points are pending.

 

Message 58 of 61
Frequent Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE

It's not a sign on bonus, it's a loan of sorts.  When you are enrolled in the membership rewards program, AMEX will allow you to "borrow" up to 15,000 points if you see something that you like but don't have enough points to get it.  For the next year, they will subtract the points you accrue from the amount you borrowed.  If you don't accrue enough points in a year, they charge you per point.


Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 59 of 61
Senior Contributor

Re: CR UPDATE


GST2008 wrote:

It's not a sign on bonus, it's a loan of sorts.  When you are enrolled in the membership rewards program, AMEX will allow you to "borrow" up to 15,000 points if you see something that you like but don't have enough points to get it.  For the next year, they will subtract the points you accrue from the amount you borrowed.  If you don't accrue enough points in a year, they charge you per point.


Wow!  I never knew that.

 

Those folks at AmEx are pretty clever.  I bet it drives people to use their AmEx card more.

IAALBNYL
Message 60 of 61