cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday 13th - Not Such A Bad Luck Day Afterall...

tag
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Friday 13th - Not Such A Bad Luck Day Afterall...

... when NFCU gives you a soft pull CLI on not one, but TWO cards!

Today was payday. So before heading to work, I am online paying bills, checking all of my accounts, and doing some budget calculations. Since NFCU is offering 0% BT all month, I was thinking of possibly taking advantage of it with a couple of items we need to purchase soon. Looking at my limits, I found myself thinking it would be nice if they were higher (especially the cashRewards card) so the utilization would look better after the BTs occurred. I've only had the accounts since July and basically 2 statements have cut since that time. Typically, I have read that one shouldn't ask for CLIs before the third month or statement and one should expect it to be a HP the first time around.

I debated for a few minutes, rationalizing that if the BT offer is going on this month, I'm sure NFCU wants ALL of their members to be able to take advantage of it. I have ran over $7K through the Flagship card paying on it multiple times in a month and the cashRewards always PIF before the statement cuts. I've been a good girl with those cards. Let me just test the LUV button and see what happens. If I get the 3-5 message, I will just call in and cancel before a HP occurs and I will wait for another month or two before requesting again.

I chose the cashRewards for the increase since that was only a $1K limit and I really wanted that higher. I thought I was being ambitious going for a $10K limit, but when it came back instantly approved, I was shocked. I did a happy dance through the house.

Then I went the the Flagship card, because its the Flagship and should have a higher limit too, so I requested $15K and it was also instantly approved!

Well, shoot, maybe I should go for even numbers... requested $15K on the cashRewards... boom... instant approval! Alright, I'm good on the cashRewards card. I have more than enough for a BT and still have good utilization while its being paid off.

BUT, the Flagship should have the higher limit... can I get $20K, NFCU? Yes, sweettea, you can have $20K right this instant!

Whoo hoo! Thanks NFCU! Since you're so generous, what about $25K? Sure, in 3-5 days.....

Ummm, no, that's ok, I'm good with $20K on the Flagship... it's much appreciated!

Short Version

cashRewards Visa $1K --> $15K (SP CLI request)

Flagship Visa Sig $7K --> $20K (SP CLI request)

I verified that the requests were indeed SP's by pulling my credit reports from USAA's CCMP.

Also, I did request for the cashRewards to be converted to a cashRewards Visa Signature and was told that they do not take requests initiated by the cardholder, but Navy will more than likely issue one to me given the new limit.

In conclusion... I'm still shocked, but suprisingly calm about it at the same time. I have never had credit cards with such high limits - even prior to my BK. I'm very thankful and just going to continue to keep being responsible with my credit. From here, I will take a look at what is on the chopping block and what I may want to add to my mix in the future.

Thanks for reading! Whooo hooo!

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

Re: Friday 13th - Not Such A Bad Luck Day Afterall...

Congrats!  You did great!

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations! That's how you handle gardening effectively!
Message 3 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

Very nice!!! That's awesome! Wish I could app for NFCU (no one close enough in family).

But like you, I had good credit day. I got boa to do a product change AND waive annual fee on a SP. Thought I was going to have to close the account after talking to someone via chat. Got offline and called the number on back of the card. Transferred to 2nd person who made this happen.

Extremely happy I got this done without a HP or having to close the account.

Smiley Happy

Happy Friday 13th!!!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone and GFer congrats on your "Friday 13th Good Luck" as well! Smiley Happy

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 5 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

Thank you, sweettea!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.