Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend needs help building her credit

tag
acciofirebolt
Contributor

Friend needs help building her credit

So my friend is about to graduate college in a semester or two, she doesn't have any credit cards and would like to open one. She mainly use her debit card or cash to pay for most purchases and recently she started about wanting to build her credit. I know she doesn't spend much because she lives with her parents so her bills are pretty low to nonexistant. She banks with Bank of the West and I looked at their cards and it looks like she can open a secure card to build history but she's kinda reluctant to deposit the money for the secure card. I also told her to ask her parents to add her as a AU on one of their cards but for some reason she's reluctant to ask them to do that. I'm thinking about recommending these cards for her to apply for

Capital One Journey

Discover It Student

Bank of America Cash Rewards for Student

Does anyone have any other card recommendations or advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Friend needs help building her credit

+1 on Discover.. My 18 year old daughter just picked up Discover student as her very first credit line with a $1000 limit.

Cap One and BofA are both solid lenders to build a relationship with as well.

Citi, and US Bank also have college cards.

Message 2 of 3
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: Friend needs help building her credit

It can be tough to build credit responsibly in college. I'd been with USBank as a checking account customer for over a decade so when I asked for their college card, they were happy to oblige.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.