Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friendly Debate: Retail Store CC's VS: Major Bank CC's

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Friendly Debate: Retail Store CC's VS: Major Bank CC's

Ok, my Fico Friends and Family!

I'm curious as to the IMPACT on ones Fico score if there is a difference between retail store (target, best buy, walmart, etc,) cc's and major (visa, mc, amex, disc) cc's.  

All things being equal, I'm looking for thoughts on STRICTLY SCORING PURPOSES.  I'm not looking for convenience of acceptance at other places, vs only one outlet.  I'm not looking for reward point or other card benefits.

From a STRICTLY FICO SCORING PERSPECTIVE, all things being equal, can one achieve an equally strong Fico Credit Score using ONLY retail store CC's vs ONLY major bank CC's?

I look forward to all your replies!

Thanks!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Friendly Debate: Retail Store CC's VS: Major Bank CC's

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I'm curious as to the IMPACT on ones Fico score if there is a difference between retail store (target, best buy, walmart, etc,) cc's and major (visa, mc, amex, disc) cc's.  

All things being equal, I'm looking for thoughts on STRICTLY SCORING PURPOSES.  I'm not looking for convenience of acceptance at other places, vs only one outlet.  I'm not looking for reward point or other card benefits.

From a STRICTLY FICO SCORING PERSPECTIVE, all things being equal, can one achieve an equally strong Fico Credit Score using ONLY retail store CC's vs ONLY major bank CC's?

Thanks!

Major bank CC's > Retail store CC's

Message 2 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

I'm not sure Nixon's inequality addresses the question.

I have to say, OP's question is an intriguing one. People on a FICO quest are quick to kick to the curb any store cards, but since they are all revolving credit, it seems possible you could develop a long history with a few store cards, using them lightly for purchases, and see a credit history and improved FICO scores.

Whether one would have the psychological ability to actually stick with store cards for those long years, is another question. The mental price of admission to the "high FICO from store card only" club might be too much Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

I have to say, OP's question is an intriguing one. People on a FICO quest are quick to kick to the curb any store cards, but since they are all revolving credit, it seems possible you could develop a long history with a few store cards, using them lightly for purchases, and see a credit history and improved FICO scores.

Whether one would have the psychological ability to actually stick with store cards for those long years, is another question. The mental price of admission to the "high FICO from store card only" club might be too much Smiley Happy

They're all part of the credit mix. But I would assume major bank cards are weighted heavier.

Message 4 of 25
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I appreciate NRB525's verbalization of this question.  Nixon's assertion that major bank CC's are weighted heavier is at the heart of this equation.  If this is true, what would be the "dynamics" of the equation to make them weighted heavier from a Fico scoring perspective?

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

They're all part of the credit mix. But I would assume major bank cards are weighted heavier.

That could be, but is that a result of the credit bureaus and FICO identifying the bank entities vs the store entities, which would imply there is a "good list" and a "bad list" somewhere in the Fair Isaac scoring model, which someone has to maintain.

or could it be the banks tend to end up with higher credit limits than any store would consider, and most normal people would pursue? Fingerhut at $20k? Does anyone have that in their signature? Smiley Happy

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

That could be, but is that a result of the credit bureaus and FICO identifying the bank entities vs the store entities, which would imply there is a "good list" and a "bad list" somewhere in the Fair Isaac scoring model, which someone has to maintain.

or could it be the banks tend to end up with higher credit limits than any store would consider, and most normal people would pursue? Fingerhut at $20k? Does anyone have that in their signature? Smiley Happy

Maybe fingercut(hut) CEO has $20,000 CL Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

From an interview with a FICO product manager (which I have quoted here but cannot find now), he stated that the credit mix calculation, while really focussing on a mix of mortgage, installment, credit card etc, also has a small component for having both store and bank cards, and it was slightly best to have both.   He also said, if you have to have just one, it is slightly better to have just bank.   So at that time, bank > store (but not a whole lot).

Now with FICO 08 I think that has gone away and you do not need store cards at all to get a perfect score.   It's possible the same applies the other way round (you can get a perfect score with just store cards)

Message 8 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

From an interview with a FICO product manager (which I have quoted here but cannot find now), he stated that the credit mix calculation, while really focussing on a mix of mortgage, installment, credit card etc, also has a small component for having both store and bank cards, and it was slightly best to have both.   He also said, if you have to have just one, it is slightly better to have just bank.   So at that time, bank > store (but not a whole lot).

Now with FICO 08 I think that has gone away and you do not need store cards at all to get a perfect score.   It's possible the same applies the other way round (you can get a perfect score with just store cards)

That would imply there is an identifier for store vs bank cards. Good to know.

Anyone have the phone number to app and recon Fingerhut? I need that $20k....

Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That would imply there is an identifier for store vs bank cards. Good to know.

Anyone have the phone number to app and recon Fingerhut? I need that $20k....

On my CR I have entries of "Credit Card" and others of "Charge Account" so I assume that things get distinguished there

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.