Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From AMEX Prepaid to Green Card Invite

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

From AMEX Prepaid to Green Card Invite

I just wanted to put out there that after six months of using the AMEX prepaid card, I got the invitation to apply for the Green Card. In fact, it says that I've been "selected to apply." The included application has an RSVP code and an expiration date of September 19, 2012. I was going to wait a couple more months before having an app spree (which I finally understood the reasoning of through another post "The Art of Apping: A question."), but I'm feeling like I should capitalize on the invitation and apply now. I was just figuring that I have an inquiry that will age off on 10/5/2012 - but it is one of only 2 inquiries that I have on all 3 reports. I was also thinking that a newer account (student loan) will be six month old with positive reporting and my scores will be even better then too. 

Hmmmm. What to do.

More info:

I live in CT, my income is about $90k, my utilization is about 10% on my RZMC and BofA Gold card (an upgrade from a prepaid card from about 8 years ago). No collections or BKs. (while I don't know my definitive EX score, I do know that my EX report looks better than my EQ report and perhaps that'll be reflected in the score calculation)

Do these AMEX invitations come regularly or should I pounce on the chance to finally app for a prime card?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: From AMEX Prepaid to Green Card Invite

@MontegoMack wrote:

I just wanted to put out there that after six months of using the AMEX prepaid card, I got the invitation to apply for the Green Card. In fact, it says that I've been "selected to apply." The included application has an RSVP code and an expiration date of September 19, 2012. I was going to wait a couple more months before having an app spree (which I finally understood the reasoning of through another post "The Art of Apping: A question."), but I'm feeling like I should capitalize on the invitation and apply now. I was just figuring that I have an inquiry that will age off on 10/5/2012 - but it is one of only 2 inquiries that I have on all 3 reports. I was also thinking that a newer account (student loan) will be six month old with positive reporting and my scores will be even better then too. 

Hmmmm. What to do.

More info:

I live in CT, my income is about $90k, my utilization is about 10% on my RZMC and BofA Gold card (an upgrade from a prepaid card from about 8 years ago). No collections or BKs. (while I don't know my definitive EX score, I do know that my EX report looks better than my EQ report and perhaps that'll be reflected in the score calculation)

Do these AMEX invitations come regularly or should I pounce on the chance to finally app for a prime card?

I'd go for it, good luck!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I should also mention that I was really hoping that I could app for a Blue card or a Delta SkyMiles card instead of just the Green.

How long would I have to wait to do a PC? Or should I just go big from the onset?

*Edited for grammar.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 56
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hello MontegoMack!

What kind of baddies do you have listed on your EX report?  AAoA and recent inqs?  I'm thinking your scores are good enough for the charge product but I don't know about the revolver without a little more info.  I will say, if you app the Green first, it's subsequently after approval a SP for the revolver so it wouldn't hurt to app the Blue card you want.  At the very least, it will give you the info you need to get this card in the future.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 56
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Just an add to to my last post... if you really like the Delta, there is empirical evidence that the co-branded Amex revolvers have lower underwriting requirements then Amex's own branded cards.  So I'd app the Delta if that's your card of choice.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 5 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

So I should...

1. App for the Green,

2. Then the Delta SkyMiles

3. While I'm at it, try for the other card I'm looking at-  the BofA 1-2-3 card as a PC (I have a gold card from them that I got after graduating from their prepaid 8 years ago)

4. Wait on the BCP (For how long??)

Does that sound about right?

Is this considered a spree?

Message 6 of 56
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

App for the green, if youre just apping the delta just because you want a revolver i dont know if i agree with that, but if youre gonna use it by all means its a great card. If not just app for the blue cash everyday and possibly do a pc. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 7 of 56
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

So I should...

1. App for the Green,   Yes

2. Then the Delta SkyMiles Yes, if that's what you want but I still don't know your history.  It's only a SP if approved for the Green and if denied, it will give you the info you need for approval in the future.

3. While I'm at it, try for the other card I'm looking at-  the BofA 1-2-3 card as a PC (I have a gold card from them that I got after graduating from their prepaid 8 years ago) It this is a PC, then go for it.  No HPs involved here and it's just a transfer of account information to the new card if approved for the PC.

4. Wait on the BCP (For how long??)  No answer for this one yet... depends on the Delta app info and what your file looks like.  If approved for the Green and denied for the Delta, then at least 6 months for sure to correct any issues they might have with your CR.

Does that sound about right?  Look above  Smiley Happy

Is this considered a spree?  Apping 2 cards isn't in my opinion a spree but still sounds  like fun if approved.  Smiley Happy

I'd go ahead an app the Green and Delta now if you are going to do it.  

Duh.. just re-read your original post... Sorry trying to do too many things at once.  I say go ahead and app the Green and also the Delta.  Delta is a SP so no harm no foul if denied but I suspect you will get it.   

Message 8 of 56
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I should also mention that I was really hoping that I could app for a Blue card or a Delta SkyMiles card instead of just the Green.

How long would I have to wait to do a PC? Or should I just go big from the onset?

*Edited for grammar.

I would get your foot in the door with the Green. Give it a year of good history then go for a revolver.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 56
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

This is a first, I say app for it!! Get in first in, then app for what you want. You mentioned having the card for 6 months, do you mind sharing how much money you add and use on a monthly basis on the card? Many of us here on the forum have considered getting the AMEX prepaid as a way of possibly getting our foot in the door with AMEX. When I applied a Zync,they pulled all 3 of my reports.....good luck!!! 

Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.