Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From AMEX Prepaid to Green Card Invite

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: From AMEX Prepaid to Green Card Invite

@MontegoMack wrote:

I just wanted to put out there that after six months of using the AMEX prepaid card, I got the invitation to apply for the Green Card. In fact, it says that I've been "selected to apply." The included application has an RSVP code and an expiration date of September 19, 2012. 

This is the first I've head or read of an Amex prepaid account receiving an invitation to invite.  

Since your has an RSVP code, the odds of your being approved are extremely high--a certainty unless there's a major new derog.  I'd apply for it now.  Use the card for 8 - 12 months before applying for a revolver of your choice.  Depending on your spend history on the charge, your CL could potentially be extremely high.

If your spend matrix score is high enough on your charge, they'll pretty much use that to determine approval and CL for your revolver.  Once you have Amex accounts with healthy lines and spend history, other issuers will see you as more valuable on manual review.

Message 11 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

More Info:

I have 1 inquiry that's less than 6 months old. 1 addional that will be 2 years old October 5, 2012.

AAoA is 6.5 years old.

My negative account that I have is from the US Dept of Education. I've since rehabbed the loan. While it's reporting posively in another line through another lender and also reporting as "OK" through USAA CMS for at least 2 years, it does state that I was over 120 days late in 2007. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 12 of 56
Open123
Super Contributor

Apply, and you'll be approved.

Rehabbed education loans with positive payment history of a couple years are meaningless to Amex when considering a charge.  Once you have history with them with a good internal risk score, they'll disregard everything and will approve you for any card.  

Message 13 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Prepaid card history:

I used it fairly regularly - at CVS, for groceries and gas. A few times I used it for dinner or drinks. 

I never had more than $300 on it at any given time. BUT I did load it every couple weeks and spent until I had about $20 on it.

I usually used the GreenDot instant (or close to instant) reload instead of uing a bank account or direct deposit.

It really was about 6 months to the day that I got the invitation.

Hope this helps

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 14 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

GRRRRRRRRR......

I finally mustered up the courage to respond to the offer. This is what I got:

Currently, our systems are not responding. Please try again later. 
If you received an application in the mail, complete that application and return it in the envelope provided. 
We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to serving you.

Message 15 of 56
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Don't necessarily respond to offer.  At least first use Amex preselector and see what cards if any are offered to you.  If it doesn't say preapproved, don't assume they have looked at your credit.  However issuers are more conservative these days using that language.  If you are okay with Amex charge, then app and use until jan 2013 and app for the Amex revolver you want.  For delta, you might be okay today but riskier.  Also if charge card not much use to you, then consider zync for lower af and easier approval standards.  However I am assuming your green invite has 0 af for first year

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 16 of 56
Open123
Super Contributor

Call them on Monday to see if the application had gone though.  If not, just apply again.

I'll bet you'll be approved.

Message 17 of 56
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I got approved for the Green!

I called, applied over the phone and got approved in about 5 minutes. 

Now, shoud I go for the [Delta] GOLD and apply for it online today??

Message 18 of 56
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Btw, I doubt prepaid card really helped that much aside from getting on Amex radar.  However you can get on their radar just as easily from doing preselector website.  Given the op score, no surprise that green would be preselected.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 19 of 56
Open123
Super Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I got approved for the Green!

I called, applied over the phone and got approved in about 5 minutes. 

Now, shoud I go for the [Delta] GOLD and apply for it online today??

Congrats!  

That first Amex card is definitely a little more special than others.  I think you'd be better off using your charge card for about 8 - 12 months before applying for a revolver. This way, you'll likely be approved for a higher CL.

Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.