Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Capital One $500 limit to American Express

tag
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

Re: From Capital One $500 limit to American Express

@webhopper wrote:
Congrats! Great card to have! Do they waive the fee for the first year?

I have not yet been charged the $450 fee and today was the first closing date. Maybe it will go on tonight or tomorrow. I'll post back ether way.

Message 41 of 58
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Ok! Please keep us updated... super excited for you! Was your friend shocked?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 42 of 58
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@webhopper wrote:
Ok! Please keep us updated... super excited for you! Was your friend shocked?

Shocked yes. Mad that I got it and he did not yes. Smiley Tongue But only for a few days. LoL

Message 43 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@twelfthjoe2 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Congrats! Great card to have! Do they waive the fee for the first year?

I have not yet been charged the $450 fee and today was the first closing date. Maybe it will go on tonight or tomorrow. I'll post back ether way.

Annual fees usually post when the statement is generated, not simply on the closing date.  If today is the closing date, your statement will probably be generated tomorrow afternoon-ish and your annual fee will post then.  Amex almost never waives the Platinum's annual fee for the first year, it would have to be a targeted offer for that.

Message 44 of 58
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
That's a reallllyyyy good idea! I'll have to get that 3xcli at 61days to be able to pay for all of my tuition, and then I can put next semester's tuition on it and get that cashback!!!!!:-D I noticed that my BCE even has the "check spending ability" button too. Do you have any idea if they pull your credit for that?! Hmmmm

We just gotta make sure we only improve our credit from here, esp. considering older people hate on us a lot of times for using credit LOL

:-)

I wish I could do this with my tuition but they charge a 2.5% fee for CC payments, so it would kill any possible rewards Smiley Mad

Ya that does kinda kill any rewards. Smiley Sad

Message 45 of 58
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Congrats OP! I got the Plat back in June (the MB co-brand version), and was charged the $475 (in my case,for you it's $450) on my second statement. FYI my AMEX score was 677 at the time, but unlike you I was already an account holder, so it probably made it easier for my approval.

It's been < 4 months, and here's what I've gotten back so far -

* Same as you, the Delta $200 back with 2 upgrades to EC, and a bunch of alcohol on the trip + the fruit and cheese plate and sandwiches Smiley Tongue  

* Same trip, got in to the Delta lounge with my wife, which is normally $39 each person = $78

* Did an FHR night in Vegas for $120, and got $60 credit for breakfast and $100 credit for spa services = $160

* I got 50k points bonus (promo at the time for MB Plat) = minimum $500

* Got a $100 service gift cert for MB (my wife has one), used it on our next service that was otherwise on sale for $189 = $100

* Got a $1k MBUSA gift certificate towards next MB lease / buy, no matter what other promos are on. Same as cash. Won't be using anytime soon Smiley Very Happy

* Got 12k more points from purchases = $120 minimum

I'm sure some of you won't agree with some of these valuations, as I actually wouldn't have gotten them if they weren't free so it was more of a "perk". Regardless, on the high-end, if I counted everything, it's $2158

The more realistic figure, removing everything in red above (I wouldn't have bought otherwise, or doesn't apply), what I've gotten back is $980.

Now, a big chunk of that is the sign-up bonus. Not sure I can replicate it next year, so might cancel unless I travel a lot more for some reason next year.

Message 46 of 58
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@cardslayer wrote:

Congrats OP! I got the Plat back in June (the MB co-brand version), and was charged the $475 (in my case,for you it's $450) on my second statement. FYI my AMEX score was 677 at the time, but unlike you I was already an account holder, so it probably made it easier for my approval.

It's been < 4 months, and here's what I've gotten back so far -

* Same as you, the Delta $200 back with 2 upgrades to EC, and a bunch of alcohol on the trip + the fruit and cheese plate and sandwiches Smiley Tongue  

* Same trip, got in to the Delta lounge with my wife, which is normally $39 each person = $78

* Did an FHR night in Vegas for $120, and got $60 credit for breakfast and $100 credit for spa services = $160

* I got 50k points bonus (promo at the time for MB Plat) = minimum $500

* Got a $100 service gift cert for MB (my wife has one), used it on our next service that was otherwise on sale for $189 = $100

* Got a $1k MBUSA gift certificate towards next MB lease / buy, no matter what other promos are on. Same as cash. Won't be using anytime soon Smiley Very Happy

* Got 12k more points from purchases = $120 minimum

I'm sure some of you won't agree with some of these valuations, as I actually wouldn't have gotten them if they weren't free so it was more of a "perk". Regardless, on the high-end, if I counted everything, it's $2158

The more realistic figure, removing everything in red above (I wouldn't have bought otherwise, or doesn't apply), what I've gotten back is $980.

Now, a big chunk of that is the sign-up bonus. Not sure I can replicate it next year, so might cancel unless I travel a lot more for some reason next year.

Thanks! I love it so far. Used it just today when I went to eat and I could see the waiter looking at it after he swiped it thru the Micros and that never happened with the Capital One. That made me fell good. haha Plus I got back $330 from the seat upgrades to the 25k points that I guess Ill get a gift card with.

Message 47 of 58
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

OP - make sure you spend ALL of that $200 flight credit, on the same airline, by Dec 31st 2012. It goes by calendar year, not your membership year. In 2013, you will be eligible for another $200 credit. You can default to the same airline, or change it next year. You should definitely familiarize yourself with how this works and read the AMEX T&C's about this feature.

If you google, you will find various strategies on how to get all $200 reimbursed. If you must, you can buy miles, depending on the airline. Just don't waste it!

Message 48 of 58
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Eeek... I should make sure they don't charge a cc fee for that LOL :-/ lame! I hate CC fees. I paid my elec bill with debit yesterday due to that fact. I barely even remembered my pin # hahah!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 49 of 58
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hmmm I wanna check that button, but I really have no need to lol not until it's time to pay tuition again, which reminds me LOL.. I need to decide which Econ classes I'm taking... Ugh Senior year is a b. Haha:-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.