Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Charge Offs to Prime Cards

tag
scottykhan
Contributor

From Charge Offs to Prime Cards

In 2005-06 I messed up my credit real bad. I had cards from chase, Amex, citi and all other prime lenders that I burned due to some stupid financial mistakes. In 2008, I tried to start rebuilding my credit by applying for citi secured card but denied due to 15 Charge offs and 8 collections. In early 2009 I opened couple of checking acounts and a saving account with BOA. After couple of months I applied for their secured card and got approved. I started with $600. During the year of 2009, I paid all the collections and was able to remove couple of charge off accounts from my crdit file as well as one collection account. Also by early 2010 I paid off my auto loan. I kept on using BOA secured card and paying it off full every month. In November 2010  my BOA card converted to unsecured card and they increased my credit limit from $600 to $1000. 

At that time my EQ fico was $610. In December 2010, I was approved for two capital one card and best buy rewards master card with $500 Limits.  From December 2010 until November 2012, I didn't apply for any credit cards since my file was still showing  charge offs and paid collections. In December 2012 I checked my fico score and they were all above 640 and transunion was 666. 

I took a chance and applied for Dicover More and to my surprise I was approved for $2000. Same night I applied for Barclays rewards card and got approved for $1500 as well; even though my credit file still showing charge offs and 4 paid collections.  

Early this morning I applied for BOA privileges card and I got denied. I called the back door number and spoke with a very nice lady. She went thru my credit file and I answered all her questions regarding the charge offs and collections. She put me on hold and after two minutes she approved for $3000 limit!!! She said after 3 months I can call back and they will convert this card to Visa Signature and will bump my CL to 5k or more. All i need to do is to call them after 3rd statement. 

All of a sudden I thought about my existing credit card with BOA that I had since 2009 and I was stuck with $1000 limit on it for the last couple of years. I called the back door again and spoke to another nice credit analyst. I explained to her that I just got approved for a card with $3000 limit and can I get the $3000 limit on my exisiting card as well. She put me on hold and then Approved my request. So, now I have two cards with $3000 limits.

My fico scores are still hovering around between 646 to 670. Credit file still shows baddies and paid collections, but they will fall off this year from March thru June.

Just wanna share my little success story

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: A Little Success Story

Congrats! Doesnt it feel good!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Very nice.....Keep up the good work.....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 16
scottykhan
Contributor

Yep feels really good. I love BOA, the credit analyst actually called me later, just to inform me that she is sending me the card with chip in it as I mentioned in my conversation with her before that I  travel out of country.

Message 4 of 16
stormb28
New Contributor

Re: From Charge Offs to Prime Cards

Virtual High Five.
Message 5 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@scottykhan wrote:

Yep feels really good. I love BOA, the credit analyst actually called me later, just to inform me that she is sending me the card with chip in it as I mentioned in my conversation with her before that I  travel out of country.

Im on the same boat during my college years and burn most of my credit card.

I know how you feel brahhhh

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 16
scottykhan
Contributor

Let's see if Amex would let me come back..... I do have a saving account with them

Message 7 of 16
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

love reading succes stories like these!!! Congrats and i am almost there with my credit journey myself. Have chargeoffs myself from 2006-2007. One is due to fall off this month (it actually did already on EQ). Come 2014 my final chargeoff will come off and it will be nothing but uphill from there!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 16
scottykhan
Contributor

Also the back door number is different what we have on this fico site. Because Sr. Analyst gave me totally different number for call back if I need it in future

Message 9 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

That's a wonderful story and an inspiration to others who are rebuilding. Congratulations on your success, and keep up the good work. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.