Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From rags to credit riches

tag
xxpert
Established Member

From rags to credit riches

Hey folks, a few years ago my credit was in the toilet. I had a 570 fico and the best credit card I had was an orchard bank card that I paid $250 app fee with a credit line of $500, oh and I also had a New Millenium secured card ( I Actually liked New Millenium ) well a few short years later and several disputes I can now say that I am riding on the upper echelon of credit worthiness. I'm currently sporting the Amex Gold Preferred, Chase Saphire, Amex Gold Business, Chase Ink, Barclays US Airways, Chase Freedom, US Bank flex perks, Citi Thank you. I got all cards for some pretty nice sign up bonuses and because my spend is decent I get some nice point accumulation. I dont carry balances on any of my cards because i know that i never want to be in credit trouble again. Just in 2012 I have been to Cancun 3 times, LA, Punta Cana, and Houston all using points transferred to FF miles and I still have about 338k points. So if anyone is on here thinking of the long road ahead to excellent credit, believe me it's very doable and will not take that long, just stay diligent and you can do it too. Current fico is 768 Smiley Happy
Wallet: Gold PRG/ Saphire Preffered 9k/ Amex SPG 4k / Amex Platinum/ Barclays US Air 14k/ Delta Gold 20k / Ink Bold/ Citi AA plat 10k

Drawer: US Bank Flexperks 12k/ Freedom 2k/ Citi dividend 2k/ Ink plus 6k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JennaRose

Re: From rags to credit riches

How many years did it take?

Message 2 of 12
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

@xxpert wrote:
Hey folks, a few years ago my credit was in the toilet. I had a 570 fico and the best credit card I had was an orchard bank card that I paid $250 app fee with a credit line of $500, oh and I also had a New Millenium secured card ( I Actually liked New Millenium ) well a few short years later and several disputes I can now say that I am riding on the upper echelon of credit worthiness. I'm currently sporting the Amex Gold Preferred, Chase Saphire, Amex Gold Business, Chase Ink, Barclays US Airways, Chase Freedom, US Bank flex perks, Citi Thank you. I got all cards for some pretty nice sign up bonuses and because my spend is decent I get some nice point accumulation. I dont carry balances on any of my cards because i know that i never want to be in credit trouble again. Just in 2012 I have been to Cancun 3 times, LA, Punta Cana, and Houston all using points transferred to FF miles and I still have about 338k points. So if anyone is on here thinking of the long road ahead to excellent credit, believe me it's very doable and will not take that long, just stay diligent and you can do it too. Current fico is 768 Smiley Happy

Wow! Great testimony! 

Look what can happen if you play by the rules. 

Congratz!!!

FicoTU 780 | Credit Karma 781 | Credit Sesame 780
EQ 673 Dec2011 | Current: 695 Nov2013 | Goal: 720+
UTL: 54% Dec2011 | Current UTL: 21% | Goal UTL: 0% June2014
AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 3 of 12
JonStur
Established Contributor

Good for you!!! I know a few people that visited  Punta Cana, I have to stop slacking and renew my passport..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 4 of 12
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 5 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Congratulations!!

It's always great to hear about people recovering from credit problems, and I think stories like that do wonders for a lot of people on the fico forums who are currently in the same position you were in just a few years ago. 

Message 6 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

congrats! 

the worst part is waiting!. 

i want my credit high now and my aaoa. 

but you cant have high aaoa unless you have a few extra years on yourself.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 12
xxpert
Established Member

Thanks everyone... All in all it took about 5 years, although it only took about 12 months to remove all my negatives and it was all legit, I simply disputed some late payments for legit reasons and for the collection accounts I called the collection agencies and offered to pay in full for removal, it wasn't easy but all worth it. The other 4 years was to rebuild my credit worthiness to get to this point. I got a best buy credit card almost immediately after removing my negs and shortly thereafter got my chase freedom and built on from there, my first Amex came within 3 years.
Wallet: Gold PRG/ Saphire Preffered 9k/ Amex SPG 4k / Amex Platinum/ Barclays US Air 14k/ Delta Gold 20k / Ink Bold/ Citi AA plat 10k

Drawer: US Bank Flexperks 12k/ Freedom 2k/ Citi dividend 2k/ Ink plus 6k
Message 8 of 12
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

congrat man finally got your paid back...

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 12
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Congrats. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.