Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen CR and CLi

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Frozen CR and CLi

So I recenlty lost my wallet and I decided it would be a good idea to freeze my reports for 90 days. Just to make sure nothing funny would happen. Anyhow, I am just wondering if that will affect any CLI's that I request with the Luv button. I wasn't planning on requesting any cli's now but I was told that I could request on extension for another 90 days after the first freeze. I am just trying to decide whether to get another freeze or not. Also this may be a silly question but does the freeze also affect whether or not I get a response from the preapproval links from sites like discover or citi?

Thanks!

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Frozen CR and CLi

+1

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 2 of 15
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

I saw from someone else's post that SP are still possible with frozen CR. As long as I haven't opted out right? Someone let me know if I am right about this.... Smiley Happy

Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

My understanding:

1. Credit freeze means (a) new creditors cannot process your application unless you unfreeze, and (b) random hard pulls won't happen.

2. Under a credit freeze, with or without opt-out, your current creditors can access your file and offer you a credit increase. 

3. Opting-in or out of the prescreen has nothing to do with credit limit increases. It's simply a marketing-related process.

4. While your credit is frozen, if you are opted-in, you can see whatever new offers are available for you. But unless you unfreeze the reports, your application for new offers (whether pre-approved or not) won't go through.

Message 4 of 15
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Let it go?

Sorry, terrible joke but I couldn't resist. Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 5 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

My understanding:

2. Under a credit freeze, with or without opt-out, your current creditors can access your file and offer you a credit increase. 

This is what the bureaus say, but I've always been told they can't access it because it's frozen. It seems their system can do soft inquiries, but if a human attempts to do it or a hard, they can't.

Message 6 of 15
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@avv7c0 wrote:
Let it go?

hahaha. Good one! and good movie!

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 7 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

My understanding:

This is what the bureaus say, but I've always been told they can't access it because it's frozen. It seems their system can do soft inquiries, but if a human attempts to do it or a hard, they can't.

On another thread, there was a long discussion on this. The jury is not out, probably.

Technically, an existing lender probably can access the files, but it is possible that the inquiry process becomes complicated. 

One purpose of putting CRs into a freezer is to avoid hard inquiries; even from existing lenders. I'll actually be very disappointed if I saw HPs on my frozen reports. If you do want HPs, you can always lift your freeze.

Message 8 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@avv7c0 wrote:
Let it go?

The HPs never bothered me anyway? Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

I know for a fact GECRB cannot access frozen TU for cli. Been there,tried that!Smiley Frustrated. Paid $10 to thaw TU only to be denied increase. I was NOT a happy camper!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.