Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated - Need HELP with AMEX

tag
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

Frustrated - Need HELP with AMEX

I need help/advice on the proper way to use the regular Green Amex card.

I got the card in late June and only used it for $581 because my closing date was pretty close to the time I actually got the card. Once my statement closed, I paid the balance off the day after my statement closed.

When I got the card in June, I  set up some recurring charges for household bills etc (cel phone, house phone, cable etc) and also had to use it for some other house expenses, so my balance this month is $2,021, which is basically what I estimate my monthly balance will be on this card.  Well my statement closed yesterday, but the statement did not show up online yet and it's still showing No Payment Due, and I have a few recurring charges that are due to hit the card in the next day or so, so I  hit the  'will my charges be approved" button and put in $1,500, it came back saying Will NOT be approved.  I was shocked, so I tried $1,000 got the same Will Not Be Approved.  So I decided to call in.

The Customer Service said that everything was fine on my account but that he suggested going forward I use the card...make a payment...use the card...make a payment So that I am making numeorus payments during the month to develop a spending pattern.  I was simply using the card, and right after my statement closing date I woiuld make my payment (once a month).  I didn't know I was suppose to make multiple payments a month......

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Frustrated - Need HELP with AMEX

You don't have to make multiple payments each month but your limits are based on spending patterns and history so keep that in mind.  In some cases, multiple payments per month will be beneficial.  There really isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to using the card as everyone's spending patterns vary.

Message 2 of 5
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

AmEx can be confusing in the beginning. You don't need to wait until you see the payment due to pay on the card. Under recent charges you should see your closing date (mine is August 16 and is in parenthesis). Feel free to pay in full before the closing date for a while. That action will begin to raise your internal limit and make it easier for you to have some headroom for other charges. 

Be patient. The internal limit will raise but it takes some time. You are laying the groundwork now. 

Message 3 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Just use it conventionally. Doesn't take long for them to figure you out. Your stated income is what determines the "shutoff point," as well as any outlandish purchases, but carry a backup card just in case. By my third week with zync, they pretty much let me have past the 3k/mo mark, and when I got green, they didn't even bother with the typical ARs like they did when I was "new."

*edit: they will release the lock on their payment system after a few weeks, then you can pay, pay, pay..

Message 4 of 5
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

For the first couple of months just make a payment two times maybe three times a month. This will show some good payment history with them them and over time should give you a higher internal limit and you wont have to worry about making multiple payments in a month. I know the most I have purchased on my card before was 6300ish in a month. I recently used the will my charges be approved and I just used 35k just to see if they would even allow that and it say approved. I will not be spending even close too that much but I was bored and curios to see LOL. So now I am curios to know what my internal hard limit is. Smiley Wink

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.