Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustration with Discover it

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Frustration with Discover it

I did not experience anything different than what CSR told you. Discover never reported anything else but the statement balance. But what I noticed that some lenders update CR once you do an account modification like phone, address even if you overwrite the same thing. Tested this with BofA because I wanted a mid cycle reporting.

If you do not intend to apply for anything then this high util does not matter. If it really bothers you ..pay down and ask Discover for a mid cycle reporting. I am sure they will help you on this. Great customer service !  Is your statement in the next few days? Then just pay down and let the desired amount report...it will update your CR Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@bsl wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. From now on I will not use this card past a 20% util at any given point in the month just to play it safe.

I think that's an extreme and unnecessary way to use your card. Like another commenter said, it was probably due to your account being a new account and being reported to the CRA for the first time. I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, utilization doesn't have a memory. Even though it reported at 80% this month, the next month when it's lower, it won't matter. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 12 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

Extreme and unnecessary is right. This probably happened because the card was brand new and when they reported the new account you already had $800 bucks on it. They will report the statement balance and keeping low utilization is not going to help you get a CLI.
Message 13 of 14
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@bsl wrote:

Good morning, I just wanted to get a little clarification, because I feel I have not been getting the correct answers from Discover customer service...

I received my card about 2 weeks ago with a a 1000 limit. 

I asked prior to my first use, when and how often do you guys report balances to the credit bureaus, I was told: "We report once a month, with your statement balance".

Ok, fair enough so I use my card more than I would like to report with the intention of paying down my balance before my bill closes, well I get a nice notification from Equifax this morning stating that one of my account balances has changed, I look and its none other than my Discover card now reporting that I have a 810 balance on a 1000 credit limit.

Frustrated, I call discover to have the rep tell me  "We report once a month, with your statement balance" AS IF HE DIDNT EVEN HEAR WHAT I JUST TOLD HIM. 

Finally, he says I should call Equifax because this is "obviously" an error in reporting...........Smiley Mad

What are your experiences with this kind of thing from Discover? I am trying to build a good solid credit background so I have been trying so hard to avoid ANY issues at all with my credit. 

What are your experiences with Discover regarding a similar situation?

As others have said, mine always reports my statement balance within a couple of days of my statement cutting. It likely reported early since it was a new account.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.