Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel Rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fuel Rewards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have used this program and similar ones through Delta Skymiles (www.deltarewardsnetwork.com) and AAdvantage (www.aarewardnetworks.com) for about 12 months now, and I find them pretty useful.  All three networks overlap, so if you link a credit card for one of the networks and then try to link the same number to another it will kick you off of the first one for that card.  The airline ones give 3 miles per dollar spent at certain restaurants (including tax and tip!) for the first 5 - 10 dines, and then 5x per dollar spent on dines for the rest of the year after that.  I've probably racked up 2k - 3k miles between the two in a year eating at places I'd eat at anyway.  Not enough for a full round trip ticket but certainly enough to put me over the top when I'm close.

The FRN works in a similar fashion for dining.  The way we use it, though, is in conjunction with Winn Dixie rewards (a grocery store chain in the Southeast).  While we do most of our grocery shopping elsewhere, they often have really good sales on wine where you'll get $.25 or even $.30 of per gallon of gas for each bottle purchased.  These are purchases we'd make anyway, even without the gas savings, plus they add $.05 off per gallon for every $50 spent and sometimes double all of your accumulated savings.  About 6 months ago when gas a little was cheaper and we had a decent discount built up, I was able to fill up the tank for something ridiculous like $6.  It was awesome!

No experience here with the FRN MasterCard.  And no, I haven't seen a downside other than providing my CC numbers so they can track spending.  Again, YMMV will vary with these programs but we've found them pretty helpful.  Good luck and enjoy!

EDIT:  Just a couple of points to add to the above.  I looked them up and I see that United MilesPlus and Southwest Rapid Rewards do the exact same thing, if you use those programs instead.  They also each do signup bonuses from time to time.  Southwest currently has one for 500 RR points with your first $25 dine, and United had one that exp'd on 7/30 for 1500 miles with your first dine.  I think I got like 1000 miles with Delta for submitting three restaurant reviews when I signed up.  I'll leave it there though, as I'm getting into FlyerTalk or thePointsGuy territory rather than credit cards.  Hope that helps!

Awesome!!!! thanks, will look into it now.

Message 41 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have used this program and similar ones through Delta Skymiles (www.deltarewardsnetwork.com) and AAdvantage (www.aarewardnetworks.com) for about 12 months now, and I find them pretty useful.  All three networks overlap, so if you link a credit card for one of the networks and then try to link the same number to another it will kick you off of the first one for that card.  The airline ones give 3 miles per dollar spent at certain restaurants (including tax and tip!) for the first 5 - 10 dines, and then 5x per dollar spent on dines for the rest of the year after that.  I've probably racked up 2k - 3k miles between the two in a year eating at places I'd eat at anyway.  Not enough for a full round trip ticket but certainly enough to put me over the top when I'm close.

The FRN works in a similar fashion for dining.  The way we use it, though, is in conjunction with Winn Dixie rewards (a grocery store chain in the Southeast).  While we do most of our grocery shopping elsewhere, they often have really good sales on wine where you'll get $.25 or even $.30 of per gallon of gas for each bottle purchased.  These are purchases we'd make anyway, even without the gas savings, plus they add $.05 off per gallon for every $50 spent and sometimes double all of your accumulated savings.  About 6 months ago when gas a little was cheaper and we had a decent discount built up, I was able to fill up the tank for something ridiculous like $6.  It was awesome!

No experience here with the FRN MasterCard.  And no, I haven't seen a downside other than providing my CC numbers so they can track spending.  Again, YMMV will vary with these programs but we've found them pretty helpful.  Good luck and enjoy!

EDIT:  Just a couple of points to add to the above.  I looked them up and I see that United MilesPlus and Southwest Rapid Rewards do the exact same thing, if you use those programs instead.  They also each do signup bonuses from time to time.  Southwest currently has one for 500 RR points with your first $25 dine, and United had one that exp'd on 7/30 for 1500 miles with your first dine.  I think I got like 1000 miles with Delta for submitting three restaurant reviews when I signed up.  I'll leave it there though, as I'm getting into FlyerTalk or thePointsGuy territory rather than credit cards.  Hope that helps!

The links have changed...here are the udpated links:

http://skymiles.rewardsnetwork.com/

http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/

Message 42 of 49
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I just downloaded the app. I've been using FRN for months but just the card that gives 3 cents off. My only quandary with offers is that I have no MasterCards that give bonuses on dining, so if I wanted the 5 cents off gas, I'd have to put my dining spend all on my BofA CR and miss out on dining from other cards

Time to apply for the paypal MC Smiley Happy.. For some reason no MC's are coming to mind that offer any decent dining other than paypal MC or Sam's Club MC, might just be brain dead today thoug...  CSP is my default dining card as ell

Had one and closed it :-/ 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 43 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The links have changed...here are the udpated links:

http://skymiles.rewardsnetwork.com/

http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/

Just a note on the skymiles rewards one I got an email on that earlier today, looks like the restaurants on the UPROMISE card and others..  Most of the places I personally wouldn't eat at, least being where I live, but different people have different tastes.  I believe this is a CO-OP type of partnership that tons of cards use to bring business to the businesses and Upromise/Delta among many others use these same partnerships.  

Message 44 of 49
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

I added 4 MC and 3 Amex. System doesn't seem to like Visa even though it has Visa as an option. I tried 6 Visa cards, and so far I'm 0 for 6 (B of A, 2 Chase, 2 Capital One, Comenity).

EDIT: I added a 5th MC. It won't allow a 6th MC as the limit is 5 MC. Maybe 5 per type of card; maybe Visa has a limit of 0. LOL.

Thanks for posting. I tried one visa before I read this and it didn't work either. I've got 2 ea MC registered. Sucks that AmEx and Barclays MC takes up two spots each for primary and AU if there's a limit of 5. #myficomemberproblems

I edited my earlier post already but ...

I was able to add a Visa today. I think they may have had issues connecting to Visa yesterday. Gonna go out for a bit and do a little shopping, get gas, get food. Let's see how this rewards thing adds up.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

I added 4 MC and 3 Amex. System doesn't seem to like Visa even though it has Visa as an option. I tried 6 Visa cards, and so far I'm 0 for 6 (B of A, 2 Chase, 2 Capital One, Comenity).

EDIT: I added a 5th MC. It won't allow a 6th MC as the limit is 5 MC. Maybe 5 per type of card; maybe Visa has a limit of 0. LOL.

Thanks for posting. I tried one visa before I read this and it didn't work either. I've got 2 ea MC registered. Sucks that AmEx and Barclays MC takes up two spots each for primary and AU if there's a limit of 5. #myficomemberproblems

I was able to add a Visa today. I think they may have had issues connecting to Visa yesterday. Gonna go out for a bit and do a little shopping, get gas, get food. Let's see how this rewards thing adds up.

Cool, let us know the results Robot Happy

Message 46 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, be on the lookout for FuelRewards partner deals.  For example, La Quinta hotels has a an offer right now where for each stay you get a code for 50¢ off per gallon on FuelRewards.  We're about to leave on a road trip out west - 5,000 miles, 3 weeks, 10 La Quinta stays, and lots and lots of gas.  We'll be liking that FuelRewards deal a lot...

Chris.

Message 47 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Another little perk of these programs for the airlines is that you can continually push back the date your miles are set to expire by adding a dine here and there if you're not planning to use that airline for an extended period of time.

Message 48 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Another little perk of these programs for the airlines is that you can continually push back the date your miles are set to expire by adding a dine here and there if you're not planning to use that airline for an extended period of time.

Indeed.  Between dining programs, shopping portals and credit card deals, we've continually escaped miles expirations on both AA and UA.

Chris.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.