Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel Rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fuel Rewards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if they could make this any more complicated? 

Seriously, I thought it was just me! Ron1 has the mastercard and seems knowledgeable about it. I hopoe he weighs in and can give us more information.

Message 31 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used this program and similar ones through Delta Skymiles (www.deltarewardsnetwork.com) and AAdvantage (www.aarewardnetworks.com) for about 12 months now, and I find them pretty useful.  All three networks overlap, so if you link a credit card for one of the networks and then try to link the same number to another it will kick you off of the first one for that card.  The airline ones give 3 miles per dollar spent at certain restaurants (including tax and tip!) for the first 5 - 10 dines, and then 5x per dollar spent on dines for the rest of the year after that.  I've probably racked up 2k - 3k miles between the two in a year eating at places I'd eat at anyway.  Not enough for a full round trip ticket but certainly enough to put me over the top when I'm close.

The FRN works in a similar fashion for dining.  The way we use it, though, is in conjunction with Winn Dixie rewards (a grocery store chain in the Southeast).  While we do most of our grocery shopping elsewhere, they often have really good sales on wine where you'll get $.25 or even $.30 of per gallon of gas for each bottle purchased.  These are purchases we'd make anyway, even without the gas savings, plus they add $.05 off per gallon for every $50 spent and sometimes double all of your accumulated savings.  About 6 months ago when gas a little was cheaper and we had a decent discount built up, I was able to fill up the tank for something ridiculous like $6.  It was awesome!

No experience here with the FRN MasterCard.  And no, I haven't seen a downside other than providing my CC numbers so they can track spending.  Again, YMMV will vary with these programs but we've found them pretty helpful.  Good luck and enjoy!

EDIT:  Just a couple of points to add to the above.  I looked them up and I see that United MilesPlus and Southwest Rapid Rewards do the exact same thing, if you use those programs instead.  They also each do signup bonuses from time to time.  Southwest currently has one for 500 RR points with your first $25 dine, and United had one that exp'd on 7/30 for 1500 miles with your first dine.  I think I got like 1000 miles with Delta for submitting three restaurant reviews when I signed up.  I'll leave it there though, as I'm getting into FlyerTalk or thePointsGuy territory rather than credit cards.  Hope that helps!

Message 32 of 49
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I just downloaded the app. I've been using FRN for months but just the card that gives 3 cents off. My only quandary with offers is that I have no MasterCards that give bonuses on dining, so if I wanted the 5 cents off gas, I'd have to put my dining spend all on my BofA CR and miss out on dining from other cards
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 33 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I just downloaded the app. I've been using FRN for months but just the card that gives 3 cents off. My only quandary with offers is that I have no MasterCards that give bonuses on dining, so if I wanted the 5 cents off gas, I'd have to put my dining spend all on my BofA CR and miss out on dining from other cards

Your Forward, Venture and Venture One are all Visa? I have limited knowledge of Forward, but I thought it was had a restaurant bonus. All my Citi are MC, but I know they have both. And I think the V/VO can be either also. It wouldn't be category spend with those, but it's still 2%, right? (admittedly not as familiar with VOne). 

Message 34 of 49
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yes they're all Visa, VO gives 1.25% back, I use my CSP for dining mostly. My only MCs are my BofA CR and Citi AAdvantage
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 35 of 49
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I'd have no problem using my Venture for those select offers if it was an MC lol

Message 36 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@icyhot wrote:

Time to apply for the paypal MC Smiley Happy.. For some reason no MC's are coming to mind that offer any decent dining other than paypal MC or Sam's Club MC, might just be brain dead today thoug...  CSP is my default dining card as ell

Message 37 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Time to apply for the paypal MC Smiley Happy.. For some reason no MC's are coming to mind that offer any decent dining other than paypal MC or Sam's Club MC, might just be brain dead today thoug...  CSP is my default dining card as ell

Had to go look at Papal. See it's 3x but didn't look to see what that actually means. Smiley Happy 

You also made me go check Golden1 CU, but it's Visa (are all CU's Visa?) 

All the Citi TY are 2x Dining, so for someone without an A+ or DC, that would be good. My TY Pref is MC, but I guess even some of those are Visas. 

Message 38 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Had to go look at Papal. See it's 3x but didn't look to see what that actually means. Smiley Happy 

It appers most CU's like the Visa Platinums for whatever reason as well, such as golden gate CU.  Themanwhocan probably has a list of everythign dining related to MC's Smiley Happy.. Sure Sam's MC is up high on his list.  PayPal seems like a decent card honestly, have been tempted many times to apply for it, but value UR's 2% dining more, thus why I don't go for AARP.

You also made me go check Golden1 CU, but it's Visa (are all CU's Visa?) 

All the Citi TY are 2x Dining, so for someone without an A+ or DC, that would be good. My TY Pref is MC, but I guess even some of those are Visas. 

equals like 2.3-2.5% cashback on grub when all is said and done from what I have read on the paypal MC.

Seems like CU's like Visa plats for whatever reason..  Sure the manwhocan or whatever his screen name is has a big spread sheet with all the dining cards Smiley Happy  I value UR's more thus use the CSP over cashbard or would go for Paypal MC or AARP etc.

Message 39 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i signed up but going to unlink my cards...i have no participating shell gas stations here, which is what i use the most :smileysad

I wonder if the partciipating shell stations list is updated. I just called the Shell down the street from our house - not listed in that list but the manager said they ARE part of Fuel Rewards. Hm.

May be a good idea to call some close by that you might use if you don't see them in the list. Hope this helps.

Ummm, i will stop by when i get home.  The shell is a few blocks from my house and always fill up there.

Thanks for that!

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.