cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun Fact: More lenders pull IDA than you think.

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Fun Fact: More lenders pull IDA than you think.

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Thanks dollar_bill, gdale6, and trumpet-205. 

I'll get into the "asking for reports and freezing" business. Now, I'm a bit confused about the official sites and addresses for these small 3.

IDA: http://www.idainc.com/

Innovis: https://www.innovis.com/InnovisWeb/

ARS: Does not have a site, and the only "legit" reference comes from within https://www.visaicsdirect.com/faq.html#jump7. How do I reach them? 

Are the first two correct, as well? 

I received my Chexsystems report some time ago, seems alright. Do I need to freeze it as well? (Seemed unnecessary because it's for checking account, and not credit).

Any similar recommendations about Lexisnexis? I think I heard about it on Creditboards. 

Slightly off-topic: I tried registering for PRBC but they said they're in beta and will contact me (probably) later. 

Many thanks again. 

Lexis Nexis pulls anything that is considered public information and consolidates it on their software. It then sells it to users. There are different levels on information depending on who is using the info but it is not a report that a consumer would know about or control/verify. Thus you would not be able to freeze reports.

My experience was while I worked in the development department for a university and I was on Lexis Nexis every day. Our subscription included info on all known addresses, employment and businesses owned, properties owned and tax assessed values, morgage lenders, tax liens, securities/stock that were required to be reported for key employees, articles in newspapers or online, driving violations, court judgements, marriage and divorce, birthdates, SS#'s and family members, co workers and neighbors and I am sure other info that I can not quite recall.  It is all public info available to anyone. It just makes it easier to find through Lexis Nexis. If you have any questions on it, feel free to ask.  

Thanks BluePoodle for the response.

Wow, that seems like a ton of information collected by a single agency. While they might be public records, I am kind of not used to single agencies collecting all this information at one place.

I did some searching around and came across this site: https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/

It sure does not seem to provide all of the information that you just mentioned to us, the consumer, at one place. However there are some reports that are either free or can be purchased. It seems like the only "consumer report" that we have access to is their insurance report and / or score. Interestingly, they have two scores: homeowners and auto insurance, which can be purchased and which look like credit reports, containing credit information. Do they get these from lenders or from other CRAs?

The security freeze info on LN seems vague, and it is probably only applicable to the insurance file. I'm thinking of ordering my own report and then decide how to move with it.

Keep in mind that not ALL of that info would be listed on any one individual.  We use it to assess net value (to ask for donations to the university) as well as background for individuals with criminal background (that we do NOT want to solicit). Lexis Nexis is only one of the places I gathered info and each State will vary on what it considered public info and thus available for Lexis Nexis.  Since LN caters to it's users, there is probably a lot more info that is available to say, credit agencies, insurance agencies, employers, etc.  But this is what I saw during my time at the university using LN.  It always provided a reference on where the info came from and so if there was an error, that source (not LN) was the place where the info needed to be corrected.  Also, I could not pull up SS on people unless I had it to begin with.  It would show the first 3 or 5 (can't remember) numbers but not all. BUT, if I had the SS# it would show the whole thing and confirm what I had with an individual.

It is kind of ironic, that while doing a search on myself in LN is how I discovered that I had an outstanding lien from 2005 taxes with the state of MI. It had not been showing up in MyFico, showed up in LN and then showed up in MyFico shortly afterwords.....it was not a happy day for me, LOL.

Thanks BluePoodle. That is very helpful information. And ouch on that lien. It would have hurt.

Message 31 of 35
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

As for ARS I need to place a freeze on it as their reporting is not accurate. They show a fraudulent app for US Bank and I never applied for anything with US Bank Smiley Sad ...quite strange it is  not on any of my other reports and I have been told it cannot be removed / corrected..so freeze and hide Smiley Sad  is the only way to go for me with this company. I wonder how many of these agencies there are beside TU, EQ, EX, Innovis, ARS, IDA that I do not know of?

File a local police report and submit that and a fraud affadavit.  If they still won't remove, file a complaint with the CFPB and file a law suit against them.  They are no different than any other CRS and must still abide by the FCRA.

Thanks Shogun.

At first I was thinking of doing it but found it to be too much hassle. I noticed it when the entry was about 2 years old and figured it would fall off anyhow but it looks that ARS is keeping it for life Smiley Sad ... it is now 3+ yrs on my report and does not look to fall off anytime soon. Since it had no effect on my applications so far I am just gonna freeze that report and see if any lender will request a pin to look at that ARS report of mine ... I doubt that will happen if the big 3 are readily available. (my hope)  I will lock all of these little "data collectors" and leave only the big 3 open.  Most of these little ones I found to be incomplete or with wrong info anyhow ....so they can collect whatever they want as long as they do not allow others to access it Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 35
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Message 33 of 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

I received confirmation yesterday of ARS freeze in the mail. Now waiting on IDA. Sent both requests via fax.
Message 34 of 35
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.