Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun with Credit Karma

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Fun with Credit Karma

I logged into CK today and updated to get my FAKO score.  I looked at their credit card suggestions and was surprised to see:

Chase Freedom Visa/MC:   Approval Odds POOR

Chase Sapphire:  Approval Odds:  VERY GOOD

Chase Sapphire Preferred:  Approval Odds:  GOOD

and similar strangeness from other issuers.

I couldn't think why Freedom would be worse than the others.   But when I logged in again, doing nothing else, Freedom now reports as VERY GOOD.   So, just a glitch I guess!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Fun with Credit Karma

I think they probably get a commision when you apply for certain cards, with looking at the cards in your cignature I am sure you would get any of those 3

Message 2 of 27
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Apparently, if I click on the "Best Credit Cards" link, my approval odds are "Poor" for all cards except for the ones for people with poor credit. My CK score is 745. 

But, if I click on the "Search Credit Cards" link, my approval odds are "Good" to "Very Good" for those same cards that were "Poor" odds before. 

I have a couple lates from back in 2007 and 2008.

ETA: Maybe not the same cards. Confusing.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 3 of 27
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

My score is about 50 pts lower than my EQ and almost 75 pts lower than TU and EX

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 27
nick125
Valued Member

Credit Karma's "Approval Odds" are a complete joke. For instance, they say I have a "Poor" chance for a Capital One Cash Rewards card (the one with the annual fee), but a "Very Good" chance for an AMEX BCE. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 5 of 27
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@nick125 wrote:

Credit Karma's "Approval Odds" are a complete joke. For instance, they say I have a "Poor" chance for a Capital One Cash Rewards card (the one with the annual fee), but a "Very Good" chance for an AMEX BCE. 

Yes, which is a pity because it has potential to be a great tool.  If everyone applied through there, it could get lots of useful data, matching FAKOs and supporting details to acceptance/rejection and CL.

Message 6 of 27
adavis425
Established Contributor

@nick125 wrote:

+1

Totally useless!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 7 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@adavis425 wrote:

@nick125 wrote:

+1

Totally useless!

Yes but how's this for coincidental: CK is suggesting that a BCE/P is Good for me, whereas nobody else likely on the planet would suggest so, and I actually managed to get approved.  Little strange Smiley Happy.

        
Message 8 of 27
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They are suggesting Slate and a Crap1 card.

Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 27
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

They determine this by what other people's profiles looked like on approval. They do not know the underwriting standards for any of the cards listed.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.