Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funding a checking account with CC

tag
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Funding a checking account with CC

I've done it in the past but was wondering if banks view this negatively? I am switching from US Bank (Probably get a fee somehow for it too) to a local bank that is offering $150 to open a checking account. I would like to fund it with either my new Venture or my new AARP but wanted to ask if this is a big no-no first.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Funding a checking account with CC

I dont see it as a negative, I have done this before.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not negative.
Message 3 of 7
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Does anyone know if either the AARP or Venture will post as cash advance or regular purchase? I've funded an account with my QS1 before and it went through as a purchase so I hope the same goes for the Venture.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I funded my PenFed checking account that way for the max $100.  I think most banks gave a limit as to how much they'll let you put in with a CC

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I funded my PenFed checking account that way for the max $100.  I think most banks gave a limit as to how much they'll let you put in with a CC

Right, once ones with big limits get "discovered" they quickly get shut down.

If the max limit is small enouigh,  I would argue it's just not worth doing, except perhaps for convenience.   If as Irish says the max was $100, the rewards are very small vs the slight risk of it being considered a cash advance or viewed negatively.  

Message 6 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

No I've done it several times and it's always shown up as a purchase rather than a Cash Advance. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.