cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funniest Story of CC's First Impression??

tag
CEOriginal
Contributor

Funniest Story of CC's First Impression??

So I used to pay cash for EVERYTHING until I found this site, and it changed my financial perspective on alot.

Anyway, I haven't been out to a crowded bar/club since I received my first AMEX card last month. Last night, a couple of my buddies and I went out on the town to a few clubs (hey, I'm 26!). At one, there was a particularly long wait for drinks at the bar, and I was behind aLOT of people. Everyone was waiving cash at the bartender, so I figured I would show some form of payment to get his attention! (By the way, male bartenders tend to serve the girls first, for obvious reasons lol). So out comes the AMEX and I'm reaching over people trying to get his attention. I guess the gold glitter caught the light a certain way, because he looks at me, reaches over people in front of me, and takes my order! BAM! Time is money, so maybe this crazy $175 AF will pay for itself in a variety of ways!! LOL

This got me thinking, I wonder what some of your funniest/craziest/weirdest stories are after people caught of peep of one of your handsomely-dressed credit cards?? Because, let's face it, everyone is just a little bit materialistic. 

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
machine
Established Member

Re: Funniest Story of CC's First Impression??

Thanks for sharing the story, I can easily see this happening in Los Angeles where I'm from.

Unfortunately for myself, there is nothing flashy that I carry in my wallet to do something simliar and the CSP metal cards are dime a dozen here, nothing out of the ordinary.

Last app: 7/14/13
Message 2 of 53
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

A few years ago I was asked to go to dinner by a video vendor on a show. We had just wrapped and he wanted to take me to dinner to say thanks for some above and beyond help I had thrown his way. Turned out to be a job offer but that's another story. I met him at his hotel and he had a driver for the night (first clue) to cart the four of us around. It was rather late but he said he called this particular restaurant he wanted to eat and and they said they would keep the doors open for us (second clue). We arrived and the place is empty. They greet him by name and take us to the table. Turns out the entire kitchen staff stayed on for us and his favorite waitress was there to serve us (third clue). No menus were presented as the chef came tableside to discuss our dinner (fourth clue). My co worker ordered for the table - way too much food but he insisted we try all sorts of stuff (fifth clue). The drinks never stopped flowing and the food was unbelievable, none of it on the regular menu (sixth clue). End of the meal he pulls out the Centurion and lets it drop on the table to a resounding clink. 

I tried to ask if I could leave the tip and he chuckled. Total meal for four was over $2,000 and he left a very special tip to be split between the wait staff and kitchen. He took care of the manager with cash on the way out. 

Color me impressed. I'll never forget the sound of the card hitting the table. 

I should have taken the job offer. 

Message 3 of 53
CEOriginal
Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

A few years ago I was asked to go to dinner by a video vendor on a show. We had just wrapped and he wanted to take me to dinner to say thanks for some above and beyond help I had thrown his way. Turned out to be a job offer but that's another story. I met him at his hotel and he had a driver for the night (first clue) to cart the four of us around. It was rather late but he said he called this particular restaurant he wanted to eat and and they said they would keep the doors open for us (second clue). We arrived and the place is empty. They greet him by name and take us to the table. Turns out the entire kitchen staff stayed on for us and his favorite waitress was there to serve us (third clue). No menus were presented as the chef came tableside to discuss our dinner (fourth clue). My co worker ordered for the table - way too much food but he insisted we try all sorts of stuff (fifth clue). The drinks never stopped flowing and the food was unbelievable, none of it on the regular menu (sixth clue). End of the meal he pulls out the Centurion and lets it drop on the table to a resounding clink. 

I tried to ask if I could leave the tip and he chuckled. Total meal for four was over $2,000 and he left a very special tip to be split between the wait staff and kitchen. He took care of the manager with cash on the way out. 

Color me impressed. I'll never forget the sound of the card hitting the table. 

I should have taken the job offer. 

Wow! I'm impressed just by reading that. Can't imagine being there in person. Must've been some kind of job offer!

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 4 of 53
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I'm a set carpenter. He owns the video rental house that supplies all of the big Hollywood award shows and huge music tours all that fancy video gear. Not really sure why he offered me a job as I can barely get my laptop hooked up to an external monitor. I guess he liked my attitude (get it done on time and on budget and never hold up a shoot). Guess he had a spot for me somewhere, I just won't move to LA for anything. 

We had drinks a few nights later. Same deal, over the top excessive spending. Turns out he can't spend it fast enough. Offered me a company car (Porsche reject of his) a great house to live in for free and of course a Centurion Business card. And pay. Great pay and benefits. But alas I won't move to LA. Even for a metal card. 

So here I sit on MyFico trying to move from my lowly Platinum to a Centurion card - for all the wrong reasons. May never happen but if it does I will think about it really hard. Then I will remind myself I'm not in LA for a reason, life goes on and I'm truly happy. 

Message 5 of 53
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@scenery_guy

Now I'm REALLY curious about where you live. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 53
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I'm a set carpenter. He owns the video rental house that supplies all of the big Hollywood award shows and huge music tours all that fancy video gear. Not really sure why he offered me a job as I can barely get my laptop hooked up to an external monitor. I guess he liked my attitude (get it done on time and on budget and never hold up a shoot). Guess he had a spot for me somewhere, I just won't move to LA for anything. 

We had drinks a few nights later. Same deal, over the top excessive spending. Turns out he can't spend it fast enough. Offered me a company car (Porsche reject of his) a great house to live in for free and of course a Centurion Business card. And pay. Great pay and benefits. But alas I won't move to LA. Even for a metal card. 

So here I sit on MyFico trying to move from my lowly Platinum to a Centurion card - for all the wrong reasons. May never happen but if it does I will think about it really hard. Then I will remind myself I'm not in LA for a reason, life goes on and I'm truly happy. 

+1. Someone else who actually feels the same way as I do!

I know people have a fascination with LA and what it represents, but I lived there for a few years and have sworn to never go back. It's an ok place to visit, but a horrible place to live IMO.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 53
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

So I used to pay cash for EVERYTHING until I found this site, and it changed my financial perspective on alot.

Anyway, I haven't been out to a crowded bar/club since I received my first AMEX card last month. Last night, a couple of my buddies and I went out on the town to a few clubs (hey, I'm 26!). At one, there was a particularly long wait for drinks at the bar, and I was behind aLOT of people. Everyone was waiving cash at the bartender, so I figured I would show some form of payment to get his attention! (By the way, male bartenders tend to serve the girls first, for obvious reasons lol). So out comes the AMEX and I'm reaching over people trying to get his attention. I guess the gold glitter caught the light a certain way, because he looks at me, reaches over people in front of me, and takes my order! BAM! Time is money, so maybe this crazy $175 AF will pay for itself in a variety of ways!! LOL

This got me thinking, I wonder what some of your funniest/craziest/weirdest stories are after people caught of peep of one of your handsomely-dressed credit cards?? Because, let's face it, everyone is just a little bit materialistic. 

Maybe the bartender was gay and thought you were cute? Smiley Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 53
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

My sister looks 15 or 16 but is really 19 and every time she pays with her Discover it card the cashiers take a good minute looking at her DL to make sure its her and that the name matches the card. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 53
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

@scenery_guy

Now I'm REALLY curious about where you live. Smiley Tongue

In a sleepy little old city in central Florida just off the interstate but not far to an airport. In other words a long flight to LAX thankfully. 

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.