Frequent Contributor

Future AMEX 61 day CLI strategy

I'll be at the 61 day mark (judging my activation time) the first week of November.  I plan to call in and get a bump to $3k CL.

Anyways, I'll have 6 new lines reporting by then (1 mortgage, 5 new cards obtained in August - none which as of yet show on my reports), all on on time of course with 0-5% utilization.  

I know my score will drop big time once these 6 new lines report.  How long will it take before it jumps back up?  Will this hurt my chances of a CLI in 61 days?  With the higher CL's reporting, will AMEX take that in consideration and bump me up?

My Wallet:
Discover It $14,300 | Chase United $12,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7,000 | Chase Freedom $5,000 | Citi Simplicity $5,000 | AMEX BCE $4,200 | Paypal Extras Platinum $5,000 | Wells Fargo $1,000 | AMEX Zync NPSL
Frequent Contributor

Re: Future AMEX 61 day CLI strategy

Honestly I don't think they even soft you at 61 days.  If you use it and PIF that should take care of things.  When I called in there were not even 30 seconds between applying and approval.  At the level you are talking about it doesn't pay for them to pull a score, they can do that internally and use your score from the app.  We're only talking about a $2K increase in risk.  Make a customer happy by giving them the opportunity to use my card more?  Heck yeah!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Senior Contributor

Razeus wrote:

I'll be at the 61 day mark (judging my activation time) the first week of November.  I plan to call in and get a bump to $3k CL.

Anyways, I'll have 6 new lines reporting by then (1 mortgage, 5 new cards obtained in August - none which as of yet show on my reports), all on on time of course with 0-5% utilization.  

I know my score will drop big time once these 6 new lines report.  How long will it take before it jumps back up?  Will this hurt my chances of a CLI in 61 days?  With the higher CL's reporting, will AMEX take that in consideration and bump me up?

I got 2 Amex in Feb. They softed me at the end of March and I CLI'd the revolver in April (around 62 days) from $2k to $6k.

The likelihood is that they will soft you BEFORE you CLI @ 61 days, and that will be a factor in your CLI approval or denial. 5 new CCs is a lot. I'd be sure all CCs are reporting zero balance, except one @ <10%. That will increase your chances of approval. They won't go over the 3x, so I doubt the new higher CL reporting will influence your CLI w/Amex.

It takes around 6 to 12 mos for scores to rebound from new accts., depending on how many, the hit to your AAoA, etc.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Frequent Contributor

Dont assume you'll get it

Frequent Contributor

With 6 inquiries and 5 new cards, Amex might deny you because of too many inquiries or too many new tradelines. It can't hurt to try though because it's just a SP.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'll attempt it at 61 days.  I don't think I'll get it, but I should be sitting pretty at the 6 month mark since all my inquiries would have aged and less damaging to the score.  My AAoA is already 6 years, so I'm not worried about it dropping from the 6 new lines. 

My Wallet:
Discover It $14,300 | Chase United $12,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7,000 | Chase Freedom $5,000 | Citi Simplicity $5,000 | AMEX BCE $4,200 | Paypal Extras Platinum $5,000 | Wells Fargo $1,000 | AMEX Zync NPSL
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.