Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future AMEX 61 day CLI strategy

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Future AMEX 61 day CLI strategy

I'll be at the 61 day mark (judging my activation time) the first week of November.  I plan to call in and get a bump to $3k CL.

Anyways, I'll have 6 new lines reporting by then (1 mortgage, 5 new cards obtained in August - none which as of yet show on my reports), all on on time of course with 0-5% utilization.  

I know my score will drop big time once these 6 new lines report.  How long will it take before it jumps back up?  Will this hurt my chances of a CLI in 61 days?  With the higher CL's reporting, will AMEX take that in consideration and bump me up?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Future AMEX 61 day CLI strategy

Honestly I don't think they even soft you at 61 days.  If you use it and PIF that should take care of things.  When I called in there were not even 30 seconds between applying and approval.  At the level you are talking about it doesn't pay for them to pull a score, they can do that internally and use your score from the app.  We're only talking about a $2K increase in risk.  Make a customer happy by giving them the opportunity to use my card more?  Heck yeah!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 2 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

I'll be at the 61 day mark (judging my activation time) the first week of November.  I plan to call in and get a bump to $3k CL.

Anyways, I'll have 6 new lines reporting by then (1 mortgage, 5 new cards obtained in August - none which as of yet show on my reports), all on on time of course with 0-5% utilization.  

I know my score will drop big time once these 6 new lines report.  How long will it take before it jumps back up?  Will this hurt my chances of a CLI in 61 days?  With the higher CL's reporting, will AMEX take that in consideration and bump me up?

I got 2 Amex in Feb. They softed me at the end of March and I CLI'd the revolver in April (around 62 days) from $2k to $6k.

@Anonymous likelihood is that they will soft you BEFORE you CLI @ 61 days, and that will be a factor in your CLI approval or denial. 5 new CCs is a lot. I'd be sure all CCs are reporting zero balance, except one @ <10%. That will increase your chances of approval. They won't go over the 3x, so I doubt the new higher CL reporting will influence your CLI w/Amex.

It takes around 6 to 12 mos for scores to rebound from new accts., depending on how many, the hit to your AAoA, etc.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 6
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Dont assume you'll get it

Message 4 of 6
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

With 6 inquiries and 5 new cards, Amex might deny you because of too many inquiries or too many new tradelines. It can't hurt to try though because it's just a SP.

Message 5 of 6
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'll attempt it at 61 days.  I don't think I'll get it, but I should be sitting pretty at the 6 month mark since all my inquiries would have aged and less damaging to the score.  My AAoA is already 6 years, so I'm not worried about it dropping from the 6 new lines. 

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.