Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future MC's, opinions needed.

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Future MC's, opinions needed.

So after dealing with Cap1 and my CLI. I am rather annoyed with their customer service, only because everytime i call i get basic generic information. Unike Chase and Discover whom in my opinion actually help me with my account.

So possibly around March i might replace my cap1 card. I am looking for a MC but am needing opinions on the following:

Needs:

1. Good Customer Service

2. Would not want to have it closed if i have to charge a little and carry a balance. (Barclays makes me nervous due to this, mainly because life happens and if i need to carry a balance for such as car repairs and such i will need to.)

3. Rewards - prefer cash back, i dont really need miles because due to my partners job at the airlines we have free flights

4. Would appreciate the option of having it be World MC or WEMC and if not given right away, to be able to upgrade down the road.

Also on a side note can you let me know if cli is SP or HP for those cards?

Thanks!

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Future MC's, opinions needed.

Barclays is fine bro...don't believe the hype. I have had a 4-5k balance for like 5 months. I pay chunks sporadically of a g or two....then run it back up to around 4-5k. I still have several months of 0% and I still have single digit util...overall. I do the same thing on my TYP (I got those two cards on the same day, so 0% period is roughly the same). I pay all my other cards before the statements cut, so I have two cards reporting balances--not ideal, I know, but I'm not applying for anything for a while.

You have chase, citi, and discover...and amex does not offer mastercards..... So it seems like you might want sallie mae.....if not, and you dine out a lot, you can't beat the cash plus (US Bank is not known for their customer service, though I have never called them).

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

Barclays is fine bro...don't believe the hype. I have had a 4-5k balance for like 5 months. I pay chunks sporadically of a g or two....then run it back up to around 4-5k. I still have several months of 0% and I still have single digit util...overall. I do the same thing on my TYP (I got those two cards on the same day, so 0% period is roughly the same). I pay all my other cards before the statements cut, so I have two cards reporting balances--not ideal, I know, but I'm not applying for anything for a while.

Thanks, but whats your util in total? Because right now my report is showing 38% mainly because my full BT amount isnt showing with Discover i dont want to scare them when next month it reports 60-70% or so, currently its that high and i did receieve a mailer recently for a world MC rewards from them. So thats why. I dont want Citi....i just saw you edited as for US bank, how hard are they to get? Income wise currently im at 40k thats my Partner and I because im still in school. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

Thanks, but whats your util in total? Because right now my report is showing 38% mainly because my full BT amount isnt showing with Discover i dont want to scare them when next month it reports 60-70% or so, currently its that high and i did receieve a mailer recently for a world MC rewards from them. So thats why. 

My total util is right around 7%. Are you talking about barclays? Also, I don't know what your limits are on your cards, but if you get a good enough limit, and you bt all your debt to one card, barclays will love you.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 4 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Yeah my util was for Barclays. i edited my post.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
Yeah my util was for Barclays. i edited my post.

haha I edited mine too

My Wallet:
Message 6 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

US Bank is conservative. I do not think that you are ready for them yet. 

My Wallet:
Message 7 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Thats fine about US i just noticed they are all Visa and im content with Chase on Visa. Looks like my choices are slim for MC (Barclays, Cap, Citi) As for your edit i must resist applying tonight and will need to hold off till March. Because March hopefully everything will be paid and i think its March otherwise its May i will have like 2 inqs across all CR's so i should be able to get a decent limit. Right now i have 2 recent account openings.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 8 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
Thats fine about US i just noticed they are all Visa and im content with Chase on Visa. Looks like my choices are slim for MC (Barclays, Cap, Citi) As for your edit i must resist applying tonight and will need to hold off till March. Because March hopefully everything will be paid and i think its March otherwise its May i will have like 2 inqs across all CR's so i should be able to get a decent limit. Right now i have 2 recent account openings.

Yeah, Barclays likes 6 mos between your app with them and another account opening. Credit unions and usaa are MC lovers.... but Cash back isn't worth anything.

My Wallet:
Message 9 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Alright as much as i dont like cap1 cust. service. Is the Cap1 Buy power WEMC good? Also do they have different cust. service since its WEMC?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.