cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future for Zync (Exec Office update on pg. 4)

tag
Zanarov
Valued Member

Future for Zync (Exec Office update on pg. 4)

I posted this in the main thread about the Zync cancellation, but it got buried in other speculation.

I was hoping some of the Optima holders could answer this

"Well this drug me out of my lurking hole.... Looks like I got really lucky..couldn't sleep on Friday so I applied for the Zync-and was approved. Just in time! And like others said we now hold super sexy exclusive card Smiley Tongue Does anyone know what will happen in regards to the long term for those of us who have it? Will they offer us a PC or will they just keep supporting it. Specifically what happened after previous product discontinuations?"

I read on another forum that Optima holders were offered the chance to upgrade to another product, is this true? And if so given the Zync's reputation as a prime-ish card will they do it again?

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Future for Zync holders

The Zync was your typical entry level card with not so great rewards.

If they are really doing away with it; just like they did with the Optima Platinum in early 2000's, there will be a phase to transition existing Zync holders to something else I'm sure.

Who knows maybe they will come up with another level entery card and market it better than the Zync. It's all about the hype when a card comes out. Maybe they will transition existing Zync to the Green. A charge card to another charge.

Message 2 of 75
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

The world was a very different place when the optima was discontinued. The card act, the visa/mc settlement, a whole new regulatory body, a jobless recovery, a vanishing middle class, the emergence of an information economy...even the credit card companies don't know what they are going to do tomorrow. No matter what happens, your zync will continue to function for a while. Most people expect some big changes from Amex in the next year. The newest settlement will likely accelerate those changes, as will aggressive moves by chase and citi. My guess is that a wholesale revamp will make what happens with zync a drop in the bucket.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 75
Zanarov
Valued Member

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

The world was a very different place when the optima was discontinued. The card act, the visa/mc settlement, a whole new regulatory body, a jobless recovery, a vanishing middle class, the emergence of an information economy..Even the credit card companies don't know what they are going to do tomorrow. No matter what happens, your zync will continue to function for a while. Most people expect some big changes from Amex in the next year. The newest settlement will likely accelerate those changes, as will aggressive moves by chase and citi. My guess is that a wholesale revamp will make what happens with zync a drop in the bucket.

That is true.And raises some interesting points. From my experience the one thing Amex still had going for it was the so called "prestige" however, the reality is that this appears to no longer be the case. From this board and some personal experiences it looks like people are starting to realize all the "benefits" associated with Amex are available from Chase, Citi, Discover ect with a much lower cost and much less drama. Some examples being FEF's, travel insurance, purchase protection, customer service ect (And no file review!).

In short form what im saying is you can get a card that does the same thing from Visa or MC with much greater acceptance.

Do you think there are plans to maybe make some changes to bring back the "prestige" or are they going to try and change the product line itself to be more similar to those of the competitors.  

All that aside I applied for the Zync because it looked cool Smiley Tongue

And if in the future Amex does do some interesting things that make them more relevant I will be there to support them.

Message 4 of 75
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I was approved for the Zync close to two weeks ago. I have been using it for four whole days, charging close to $300. I called Amex, and the lady that spoke to me was confused. She said that the Zync cards has NOT been discontinued. I am not sure what is going on, but I am sure Amex will give a statement soon. Perhaps we would be PC to the Green....

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 5 of 75
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I would take Plat for the ZYNC fee Smiley Very Happy

Let´s wait and see, we are in with the family and we can use it. Amexco will (hopefully) not throw us out, due to this.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 6 of 75
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I don't want a green. I like my zync. Ill add another charge later and link them. As for future of zync, who knows.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 75
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

Let´s wait and see, we are in with the family and we can use it. Amexco will (hopefully) not throw us out, due to this.

Now we can showoff our Zync cards and say "Look! This was one of AMEX pretige cards...it is no longer available. Only a select few have it. Bahahahaha! CAN"T TOUCH THIS!!!!".........Smiley Very Happy

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 8 of 75
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

Well thats a bummer......I was aiming for a zync in June....bk will be 8yrs....i wonder if they will have one to take its place

Message 9 of 75
CS800
Super Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

@shakalaka wrote:

Now we can showoff our Zync cards and say "Look! This was one of AMEX pretige cards...it is no longer available. Only a select few have it. Bahahahaha! CAN"T TOUCH THIS!!!!".........Smiley Very Happy

Hammer time

Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.