cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future for Zync (Exec Office update on pg. 4)

tag
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Future for Zync holders

They will likely let current Zync cardholders (the few that exist) keep their accounts and cards open, while slowly product changing or offering an alternative card eventually. Charge cards are a niche market, and the Zync must have been determined to not fit future Amex plans.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 21 of 75
Carbon44
Contributor

What if u need a replacement card. Do u think they will still make them or just PC you?
Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Message 22 of 75
Zanarov
Valued Member

@CS800 wrote:

I suspect it will be a PC to another charge card.

What did the Optima Platinum holders get when they finally shut it down ?

I read that they were offered a upgrade/change (In this particular case they got a BCE)

Im not sure if they allowed them to change to anything they wanted, offered a few selections or take/leave offer on one card.

In that persons case they got the BCE but they were also allowed to keep the Optima.So who knows!?

In regards to replacement card...They would have to issue a new one right? They cant force you to change to a more expensive charge card (I guess they could cancel your card tho...)

So either somthing new comes with a simular cost or they change you to one of thier charge cards with no AF.

Message 23 of 75
TheConductor
Established Contributor

If they did a revolver with the same build-your-own-reward-structure approach, I'd be all over that.  

Especially if it still somehow incorporated the disco-snowstorm / glitter-blizzard look.  Smiley Happy

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 24 of 75
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I know alot of people seem to like the build you own rewards idea, but to me it seems like nickel and diming your customers. They really need toimprove the basic gold card in my opinion, as it is basically the exact same thing as the green, just 30.00 per year more. From what I can tell the only difference is "gold card events". They should add one or two 2X points categories like dining and groceries for example to set it apart. Until they do I on't see much reason to 'upgrade' to gold from green.

This might just be me being picky, but I really don't think the BCP card itself looks all that great. For what is one of their flagship revolvers I would have thought a more appealing design could be made than a half clear, half white glazed, with a random blue square in the middle card.? The charge cards look unique, but amex revolvers could use a design overhaul.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 25 of 75
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Someone posted this in my Costco thread and I agree. The Costco Amex card looks good.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 75
joeyh2007
New Contributor

I just tried calling CS, and of course the lady I talked to admitted to me that I'm her very first call ever. So you can imagine how that went.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 27 of 75
migo13
Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

I just tried calling CS, and of course the lady I talked to admitted to me that I'm her very first call ever. So you can imagine how that went.

How'd you get a 1K limit on your ZYNC? Or did you have a NPSL and they put a limit on your card?

Message 28 of 75
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

@Zanarov wrote:

That is true.And raises some interesting points. From my experience the one thing Amex still had going for it was the so called "prestige" however, the reality is that this appears to no longer be the case. From this board and some personal experiences it looks like people are starting to realize all the "benefits" associated with Amex are available from Chase, Citi, Discover ect with a much lower cost and much less drama. Some examples being FEF's, travel insurance, purchase protection, customer service ect (And no file review!).

In short form what im saying is you can get a card that does the same thing from Visa or MC with much greater acceptance.

Do you think there are plans to maybe make some changes to bring back the "prestige" or are they going to try and change the product line itself to be more similar to those of the competitors.  

All that aside I applied for the Zync because it looked cool Smiley Tongue

And if in the future Amex does do some interesting things that make them more relevant I will be there to support them.

While not a makor reason why I like Amex, I still feel that it carries a certain prestige to it's brand. While other have caught up a bit in terms of services and rewards, no other company offers backdating of accounts. From what I have seen Amex is also quite generous with it's credit limits and CLI's do not require a hard pull such as with Chase.

I'm not sure if I agree that Amex has the same level of prestige as it once did. This may still be true among some, but it has diminished significantly as they have become more commonplace. Where I grew up, everyone had an Amex. The only question was what color was it: black (the majority) or platinum (the rest). Since then it's become quite a mainstream product, with other issuers offering Amex-network products that people often confuse with actual Amex cards that are underwritten by Amex.

Other lenders have caught up, and are offering similar or superior rewards. In this respect, Amex is no longer a monopoly.

I never understood what the big deal with taking a HP for a CLI was anyways. If you're fairly conservative with your credit applications, it isn't that big of a hinderance. Backdating helps, but as you become more established AAoA begins to matter less and less. For someone who spends a lot of time outside the US, non-universal acceptance plus a lack of EMV chips severely limits Amex's usefulness.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 29 of 75
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Zanarov wrote:

I posted this in the main thread about the Zync cancellation, but it got buried in other speculation.

I was hoping some of the Optima holders could answer this

"Well this drug me out of my lurking hole.... Looks like I got really lucky..couldn't sleep on Friday so I applied for the Zync-and was approved. Just in time! And like others said we now hold super sexy exclusive card Smiley Tongue Does anyone know what will happen in regards to the long term for those of us who have it? Will they offer us a PC or will they just keep supporting it. Specifically what happened after previous product discontinuations?"

I read on another forum that Optima holders were offered the chance to upgrade to another product, is this true? And if so given the Zync's reputation as a prime-ish card will they do it again?

I don't recall ever receiving an offer to upgrade my Optima.  I still have an Optima Platinum and they still send me a new Optima card when my current one expires.  I've had the Optima for over 20 years and it earns MR points.  I also added my husband and my son as additional card members so they can earn MR points on their purchases.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Zync might become a "grandfathered" product, much like the Optima card is now.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.