cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future for Zync (Exec Office update on pg. 4)

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Future for Zync holders

If they aren't even allowing current Zync holders to add packs, then it seems like they will be discontinuing it at some point. The card is going to lose value for people if you can't add a pack that you might want.

Also, I wonder if the CC Act law re PCing and AFs may have something to do w/them no longer making packs avail for curr cardholders. Because the fees for packs are annual, based on when you add the pack, they may want to prevent any new AFs/pack fees from being charged so that people will be able to PC according to the new CC law.

I wonder why else they would want to stop current cardholders from adding packs. Or maybe they plan on discontinuting the card within a year and don't want to have to pro-rate pack fee refunds or something?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 31 of 75
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

If they aren't even allowing current Zync holders to add packs, then it seems like they will be discontinuing it at some point. The card is going to lose value for people if you can't add a pack that you might want.

Also, I wonder if the CC Act law re PCing and AFs may have something to do w/them no longer making packs avail for curr cardholders. Because the fees for packs are annual, based on when you add the pack, they may want to prevent any new AFs/pack fees from being charged so that people will be able to PC according to the new CC law.

I wonder why else they would want to stop current cardholders from adding packs. Or maybe they plan on discontinuting the card within a year and don't want to have to pro-rate pack fee refunds or something?

I don't think the CARD Act necessarily fits here, as the Zync already has an AF and Amex legal would've factored the pack additions in already as the card's been around for something like the last two years, and that act has been in effect during that time.

If they're deciding to shut down the infrastructure, then disabling the packs probably makes sense.  Since the Zync infrastructure includes a seperate CS department, I think that group will either get repurposed or whacked, and the Zync is likely to go along with it.

While I'm going to be unhappy at losing $300/year in rewards / AF or worse (none of the other charge cards work for me in my current existence assuming they PC us to a Green or alternate charge product) realistically I probably need to take my business to Chase or Citi for pure financial reasons and just assume that I'll be qualified for a BCP at some point post condo/house anyway and will still get the backdating from the Zync account.  I was hoping to hold on to the Zync until I could qualify for a CSP for other reasons, and not lose the 2%, though if my condo plan gets delayed, maybe I just need to see if I can beg Citi for a card if the TY points make any sense at all.  

Meh.  The Zync dovetailed very, very nicely with my BOFA 1-2-3 card and also my spending and overall credit plan.  I certainly hope I get to keep it, I'm just not going to hold my breath on this one.

        
Message 32 of 75
Zanarov
Valued Member

Well this is turning out to be quite interesting. Looking around the web there seems to be several opinions on what's going on

1. Zync is discontinued, this has been confirmed by several reps....however:

2. Zync IS NOT discontinued, and there's some error with the system. This from a Amex rep on another site...however:

3. According to yet  another rep the card is not being canceled, but the packs are. Apparently it will be a charge card version of Blue.

Does anyone know how we can get some confirmation on this? Or perhaps somewhere there's a official Amex statement floating around...?

Message 33 of 75
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Zanarov wrote:

Well this is turning out to be quite interesting. Looking around the web there seems to be several opinions on what's going on

1. Zync is discontinued, this has been confirmed by several reps....however:

2. Zync IS NOT discontinued, and there's some error with the system. This from a Amex rep on another site...however:

3. According to yet  another rep the card is not being canceled, but the packs are. Apparently it will be a charge card version of Blue.

Does anyone know how we can get some confirmation on this? Or perhaps somewhere there's a official Amex statement floating around...?

I think it's all up in the air until Amex sends us a notice via mail, i.e. legalish material.

I haven't seen anywhere where the Zync isn't being discontinued, would you mind sharing your source on that?  If anything it's the ability to change around packs which is in question from one of Amex's social media pronoucements.

I think the Zync and Green would be too similar if they just cancelled the packs, not really seeing the product differentiation nor the upside of keeping both if they do that, and we know the Zync stands no chance of being continued compared to the Green in that scenario.  You don't throw out decades of market brand recognition for a product which apparently never really caught on.

I have to admit on the time I first used the card with my coworkers at lunch, one of them asked "White Amex?  Is that the opposite of their black card?"  Had to think about it for a second, and yup, pretty much that's what it is especially now as it's looking like a collector's item for mortals.

        
Message 34 of 75
Zanarov
Valued Member

Not sure if I can post a direct link but here is the quote lifted from the source:

"Good Morning All,

I have just found this thread and wanted to let you know that we have not received word that the Zync Card is being discontinued. We have reached out to our Technologies Team and advised them of the issues online and they are looking into why you can not access it online. If you are having issues with the Packs, please let me know via email at: (Link) Please include your FlyerTalk handle and I will be more than happy to look into it for you.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Rachel
Amex Customer Care"

So given that and all the other info floating out there I have no idea whats going on!

Message 35 of 75
joeyh2007
New Contributor

I had to get a better answer so I called the executive office. The man I spoke to said it is being discontinued because there were not enough people applying for the card. He also referenced the Optima card stating that current card holders have a rare card and it will not be cancelled. He could not speak on the possibility of product changes yet since he said that part of the discontinuation has not been decided on yet, but he referenced that a PC is not out of the realm of possibility.

That's the best I could get.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 36 of 75
joeyh2007
New Contributor

One more thing. He did recommend that I continue using my card as much as I did before. That could be a way of saying that those of use who put around $1,000/month on the card will get a better chance of getting a PC offer. Just my 2 cents.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 37 of 75
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Joey.  I must've misread the FlyerTalk annoucement, but that executive office bit of information is more and probably better than what we've received in the past.

        
Message 38 of 75
Zanarov
Valued Member

@Revelate wrote:

Thanks Joey.  I must've misread the FlyerTalk announcement, but that executive office bit of information is more and probably better than what we've received in the past.

Yeah I think your probably right.I also think AMEX kinda dropped the ball on this one, the front line CSR's had no idea what was going on. We had conflicting reports from different representatives and there is still no official announcement on what's happening.

Perhaps they stopped taking applications too soon (Web team made change too fast?)

So there was and still is not a full plan of action established yet? I guess time will tell.

Message 39 of 75
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

One more thing. He did recommend that I continue using my card as much as I did before. That could be a way of saying that those of use who put around $1,000/month on the card will get a better chance of getting a PC offer. Just my 2 cents.

Well thats good news, I always put over a G on my Zync Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 40 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.