OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Future lineup

@mitchblue wrote:

December 2014. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

5/24 didn't effect me. All my cards listed (and Kohls card) are within' a year and most were before I got a CSP. The CSP was the 8th card I was approved for. 

@Discover2016 wrote:

If you want to apply for the Freedom or CSP in July, you'll have apply for both pretty close to each other so that you get both before the first starts reporting. That's what happened to me when I applied for CSP, if I would have waited until my earlier accounts reported I would have been denied because of 5/24.

When did you get the CSP?

5/24 rule didn't exist until around April/May of this year.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 41
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

December 2014. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

5/24 didn't effect me. All my cards listed (and Kohls card) are within' a year and most were before I got a CSP. The CSP was the 8th card I was approved for. 

@Discover2016 wrote:

If you want to apply for the Freedom or CSP in July, you'll have apply for both pretty close to each other so that you get both before the first starts reporting. That's what happened to me when I applied for CSP, if I would have waited until my earlier accounts reported I would have been denied because of 5/24.

Ah. Good thing I applied then I guess. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

December 2014. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Exactly and that was my point.

Message 13 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

As dragontears already said, the value in CSP is in the ability to transfer points from CSP and Freedom to partners - especially Hyatt and United. Freedom and CSP only go well together if you travel and participate in hotel and airline loyalty programs. If you want a good cash bonus, go for Arrival+ or Venture which are easier to get and require less in the way of minimum spending to get the bonuses.

PRG is also a travel rewards card.

There's nothing wrong with just wanting bonuses, but since you don't travel, it's pretty inefficient to target travel bonuses. Travel points are usually worth significantly less if you try to convert them into something cash-like (statement credits and gift cards). Focus on ordinary cash back.

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As of right now my credit is still new and I can accept the cards/limits I have.  Cap one secured $400, qs1 $300 to $750 last week, dcu visa $500, barclays rewards $1000.  Next year, likely july 1st, which will be one year since my first card (secured) and since I have 4 accounts opened in 24 months and I want a csp, no accounts before csp app.  Which means build nice limits with qs1 and barclays until july, get csp.  I want a bcp but don't know if a prg is necessary as well.  I don't travel at all, so definitely would cancel before the af but the bonus would be nice.  Is the freedom necessary as well?  I know it compliments the csp and having those two ur cards seems wise.  Prg is mr which doesnt compliment bcp at all.

I have no problem with closing all current accounts for these prime cards, maybe keeping qs1/qs (will attempt pc in april) opened and SDing it unless I want the no ftf at some point.

Basically, my research says freedom and csp go well and since I want a bcp, not sure what I should do in regards to prg.  If Im gonna close it anyway before af, then opening it wouldnt matter Id assume.

Please list your three fico 08s, AAOA, and monthly spend divided into categories (gas, dining, grocery, travel)

Message 15 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As of right now my credit is still new and I can accept the cards/limits I have.  Cap one secured $400, qs1 $300 to $750 last week, dcu visa $500, barclays rewards $1000.  Next year, likely july 1st, which will be one year since my first card (secured) and since I have 4 accounts opened in 24 months and I want a csp, no accounts before csp app.  Which means build nice limits with qs1 and barclays until july, get csp.  I want a bcp but don't know if a prg is necessary as well.  I don't travel at all, so definitely would cancel before the af but the bonus would be nice.  Is the freedom necessary as well?  I know it compliments the csp and having those two ur cards seems wise.  Prg is mr which doesnt compliment bcp at all.

I have no problem with closing all current accounts for these prime cards, maybe keeping qs1/qs (will attempt pc in april) opened and SDing it unless I want the no ftf at some point.

Basically, my research says freedom and csp go well and since I want a bcp, not sure what I should do in regards to prg.  If Im gonna close it anyway before af, then opening it wouldnt matter Id assume.

Please list your three fico 08s, AAOA, and monthly spend divided into categories (gas, dining, grocery, travel)

eq 629, tu 752, ex 716 - eq needs to delete 2 collections the other bureaus already did.  Disputes open and will be completed next week.

Aaoa is .4 and thats with my au account from july 2013.  After I remove that in jan, all my accounts are from july 2015-sept 2015.

$40 a week in gas

$100 a week in dining

$40 a week in groceries but that's without amazon gift cards I'd undoubtedly buy at store for the cash back bonus.  Likely $100 a month on amazon if that.

Don't travel ever.

$100 a week misc spend.  I quit drinking last week so that could change things a lot.

Message 16 of 41
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you spend $40 per week in groceries, plus $100 per month for Amazon (not sure I'd be that specific about the gift cards I bought, but let's go with it) then your annual Grocery cateogry spend is only about $3k.

Why do you want the BCP? It's barely going to get over the annual fee, once you get past the first year. Blue Cash EveryDay gets you most of those rewards without the pesky annual fee.

Congratulations on the quiting drinking part! That's the big win here.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your monthly spend isn't that high, and IMO doesn't really line up with getting the CSP or the BCP for that matter...you need to spend at least $200 weekly on groceries to make it worth the AF as opposed to just getting the BCE.  In fact, I would probably say BCE is probably the way to go for you at this point.  Maybe that and the AARP for 3% on restaurants and gas (so really BCE for the groceries and Amex offers).

Obviously if your situation/spend changes by next July then you'd need to re-evaluate, but with only about $300 monthly spend I think you should be considering different options, especially since you don't travel.

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I dont have a good reason to get a csp other than wanting to get back with chase and have a cool prime metal card.  Which is sorta dumb really lol.  Same with bcp over bce really.  I feel like to beat out the fee or whatever I would end up buying stuff I dont even need in terms of giftcards and amazon stuff.  I could definitely do with a bce unless I get married and have 2 kids in a year.  (Wont happen!)

As for a prg..again the bonus would be cool but it would make me want to travel when I really never do and that would ultimately cost me money.

I'm sure a lot could change between available cards and my spending in a year so I will see.  Just gonna let it age for a while.

Btw, thanks.  Quitting drinking isnt easy for a 27 year old when all my friends drink.

Message 19 of 41
joshkm
New Contributor

With your spending it sounds like a Discover card and Freedom would be great to cover 5% categories and get you in with Chase. Amex Blue Cash Everyday for groceries and maybe a Citi Double Cash to cover the rest of it.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything soon so you'll have plenty of time to do some thinking and evaluate things. That's the biggest hurdle in building credit and getting better cards is the time part.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.