Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE CLI Request question

tag
bellrod44
Contributor

GE CLI Request question

If I request a CLI on my Walmart card is it a HP or SP?

Cards in my wallet: BofA 1-2-3 Rewards - $3,000 (5/2012), Walmart - $350 (9/2012), Home Depot - $500 (10/2012), US Bank - $1,000 (11/2012)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: GE CLI Request question

Message 2 of 11
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@bellrod44 wrote:

OMG, you read my mind as I was just about to ask a similar question. I know it's a soft when you do it through the automated system but I just called the backdoor number for a CLI on my Walmart Card and they say they would need to review my report before approving the increase. The credit analyst said it would be a soft inquiry. My Transunion report is locked so they say I should unlock it and call back. She said they can't access my report and I need to unlock it for them to do a soft inquiry. I am a little skeptical as it was my impression that current creditors can soft you if they want even with a frozen report. Should I unlock it? I would be mad if I did and it turned out be a hard.

Message 3 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

OMG, you read my mind as I was just about to ask a similar question. I know it's a soft when you do it through the automated system but I just called the backdoor number for a CLI on my Walmart Card and they say they would need to review my report before approving the increase. The credit analyst said it would be a soft inquiry. My Transunion report is locked so they say I should unlock it and call back. She said they can't access my report and I need to unlock it for them to do a soft inquiry. I am a little skeptical as it was my impression that current creditors can soft you if they want even with a frozen report. Should I unlock it? I would be mad if I did and it turned out be a hard.

I have always called the backdoor number for my CLI's. They have always been SP's. 

for the record, I have JCP, Chevron, WalMart and PayPal MC- requested CLI's on all and they have always been SP's. Also, it was on TU. 

YMMV

Message 4 of 11
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

I have always called the backdoor number for my CLI's. They have always been SP's. 

for the record, I have JCP, Chevron, WalMart and PayPal MC- requested CLI's on all and they have always been SP's. Also, it was on TU. 

YMMV

Do they ever ask you to give them a minute while they review your report?

Also Do you call the same number for all your GE cards or do you use different backdoor numbers for each? Can I get CLIs on all my GE cards from the same rep in one stop or do I need to call back for each card? I have Walmart, JCP, Paypal, and CareCredit.

Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

YMMV

Also Do you call the same number for all your GE cards or do you use different backdoor numbers for each? Can I get CLIs on all my GE cards from the same rep in one stop or do I need to call back for each card? I have Walmart, JCP, Paypal, and CareCredit.

Yes, they ask for a minute. They also ask about income and sometimes they read a disclaimer. 

I usually call the same number- Credit Solutions. Regarding asking for multiple cards- I just did that for the first time last week.  I was declined on the MC (they had just given me an auto CLI and I wanted more) and I thought, what the heck? So, I said while I have you on the phone, how about my Chevron? I was approved. 

Message 6 of 11
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

YMMV

Yes, they ask for a minute. They also ask about income and sometimes they read a disclaimer. 

I usually call the same number- Credit Solutions. Regarding asking for multiple cards- I just did that for the first time last week.  I was declined on the MC (they had just given me an auto CLI and I wanted more) and I thought, what the heck? So, I said while I have you on the phone, how about my Chevron? I was approved. 

Sweet, what you are saying is like gold to me. That is exactly what happened when I call them and they do refer to themselves as Credit Solutions. I just got off the phone with them regarding my Walmart card. They were not able to process my CLI request because my TU was locked (I use the transunion interactive online lock/unlock feature) and even though I unlocked it, it is taking a while to open up on their end. Anyways I will try again tomorrow and see if they can give me CLIs on all my GE cards.

Message 7 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

GE does SP. Even if you are denied.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

^^^^Yup and when they deny your original amount requested they will usually counter offer. Good luck! YMMV

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.