Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE Capital Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GE Capital Cards

I have been reading about how good they are on CLI.  What are the typical increases do people see? couple of hundred dollars? does it vary? if it does what is that increase based on?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: GE Capital Cards

The will CLI via SP every 4th statement. Sometimes they will decline, sometimes they will aprove, or sometimes they will counter with another offer other than the amount you requested as a CLI. It's impossible to say what causes them to decline as it depends on each person's credit profile. The increase is also based on the individual and the card. My JC Penny card went from from a $300 to a $2800 limit in less than a year. My Walmart card increased rapidly as well. It also depends on usage and  your credit profile. My increases were usually $500+ each increase with a VERY clean/perfect credit profile, low UTL, and a good AAOA.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, I can't wait I'll keep you guys updated. I barely keep balances, I guess I am reading rule of thumb is 10% or less. 

Message 3 of 8
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Regarding FICO purposes and carrying balances, 9% is what is usually the most advantageous to the best possible FICO for UTL scoring. Remember that UTL only accounts for 35% of FICO scoring which means there is still 65% of the score coming from other factors such as AAOA. Also it has been very good for me with GE to carry a balance (albeit small) on my 4th statement cut in maximizing my CLIs. This has been my experience and not at all meant for you to try if you don't feel comfortable. Leaving this balance though increases my overall UTL and is not always a wonderful FICO booster. Although by the next month, I get that back down which essentially means this only occurs every 4 months.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 4 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

With my ON, I started @ $200 last March. Increased to $600 after 4 mos., then $1200 4 mos later, then $1500 4 mos after that. Then last week, when I logged on, they had an offer to upgrade to their Visa. I accepted and they gave me $4k. That's pretty good for 1 year! My Walmart started @ $300 in Nov and got an auto-CLI in Feb to $1k. I Heart GEMB!

BTW, I have NEVER carried a bal on their cards. I've always PIF either before or after the stmt cut. And have not charged large amounts -- usually under $100.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

@With my ON, I started @ $200 last March. Increased to $600 after 4 mos., then $1200 4 mos later, then $1500 4 mos after that. Then last week, when I logged on, they had an offer to upgrade to their Visa. I accepted and they gave me $4k. That's pretty good for 1 year! My Walmart started @ $300 in Nov and got an auto-CLI in Feb to $1k. I Heart GEMB!

BTW, I have NEVER carried a bal on their cards. I've always PIF either before or after the stmt cut. And have not charged large amounts -- usually under $100.

That is awesome, I am pretty excited!

Message 6 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Your new Walmart card is GE. The fact that they started you with what might be their lowest limit ($150) means they are pretty shaky where your profile is concerned. I read on another thread that you had like 2 CO's and a collection...  You need to see what you can do to clean up some of those baddies. I am not the person to give that kind of help, but there are plenty of people on the fixing credit part of the boards to help out however they can.

You are going to need to be patient, because those 3 baddies ARE hurting your profile. GE is generous, but they are not comfortable with you right now, and it might take some time for them to feel that you are a trustworthy. Charge monthly, and PIF. Show them that they can trust you to pay your bills. Do not expect that they are going to be generous on that first CLI, but hope that they give you something. Do not look to other peoples experiences and expect your case to be the same, but rather manage your accounts well and give them a reason to CLI you.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Your new Walmart card is GE. The fact that they started you with what might be their lowest limit ($150) means they are pretty shaky where your profile is concerned. I read on another thread that you had like 2 CO's and a collection...  You need to see what you can do to clean up some of those baddies. I am not the person to give that kind of help, but there are plenty of people on the fixing credit part of the boards to help out however they can.

You are going to need to be patient, because those 3 baddies ARE hurting your profile. GE is generous, but they are not comfortable with you right now, and it might take some time for them to feel that you are a trustworthy. Charge monthly, and PIF. Show them that they can trust you to pay your bills. Do not expect that they are going to be generous on that first CLI, but hope that they give you something. Do not look to other peoples experiences and expect your case to be the same, but rather manage your accounts well and give them a reason to CLI you.

That is what I am planning on doing, thank you for the advice.  I will keep you guys updated.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.