Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE Money recon success! - PayPal Extra MC

tag
gnarlycow
Valued Member

GE Money recon success! - PayPal Extra MC

My story (short version): I've had PayPal Smart Connect for nearly 3 years at 2K CL.  I opened a new PayPal account using another email, applied for the Extra MC, and got instantly denied... Then I called GE Money's backdoor number asking for recon, and got approved for 3K inital CL!

Much longer version if you are interested:

I'm an international student who first came to the States less than three years ago. Obviously I had zero credit history back then, and knew nothing about the system (if only I knew myFICO...) After many failed attempts with BofA, Chase, Citi, I got my first card with Capital One: 500CL later to 750 as part of the steps program, luckily with 1% cashback (some categories 2%) and no AF.  I applied for PayPal Extra MC a month or two later, and got approved for Smart Connect instead (now I know I was lucky to be approved at all), 500CL as well. About four months later, I did the online CLI and was approved for 2K. That button then disappeared ever since.

Between then and now, I gradually got lots of cards with Discover (current CL 4K), BofA (4K), Chase (4K), AMEX BCE (2K, approved yesterday), Barclay priceline (1.5K), Citi Forward (2.8K), AT&T Universal (4K), etc.  Since I always PIF (except during 0% introductory APR), I believe I can convince GE Money to convert my SC to Extra MC. However, I called them every couple of months and got nowhere. I was always told they appreciate me as a great customer, account upgrade is not available upon request. So this past Febrary, I thought I would just do a new application with a new PayPal account.  Of course I was declined, but the letter I received states the reason was I already have another credit product with them.. they didn't even pull my credit report.  I didn't know about backdoor number at the time, so I let it drop.

Half an hour ago, I just felt like applying again (don't know why).  Was declined again, but I called the backdoor number.  The representative verified some basic information, and put me on the hold for like 8 mins (presumably reviewing my application) before transfering me to another department.  The second guy had a strange accent, but I was able to understand him fine.  He just wanted to verify my cell phone number, so he sent me a text asking me to read back the four-digit code... lucky I have a smartphone, not sure you can do this on a dumb one... anyway he then told me I was approved for 3K and will receive my card in 7-10 days at most.  Hope my story helps someone.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Vikz27
New Contributor

Re: GE Money recon success! - PayPal Extra MC

Message 2 of 8
Vikz27
New Contributor

Congrats! BTW, you were not denied initially the Paypal fraud system detected the app and when you called in to the CSR's they saw it and transferred you to fraud which is the only department that does the 4 digit code as part of their verification. So after you answered everything the internal machine approved you
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 8
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Are you keeping the smart connect too or closing it? Congrats BTW! I may do this at some point, but it is certainly low on my priority list. 

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@gnarlycow wrote:

My story (short version): I've had PayPal Smart Connect for nearly 3 years at 2K CL.  I opened a new PayPal account using another email, applied for the Extra MC, and got instantly denied... Then I called GE Money's backdoor number asking for recon, and got approved for 3K inital CL!

Much longer version if you are interested:

I'm an international student who first came to the States less than three years ago. Obviously I had zero credit history back then, and knew nothing about the system (if only I knew myFICO...) After many failed attempts with BofA, Chase, Citi, I got my first card with Capital One: 500CL later to 750 as part of the steps program, luckily with 1% cashback (some categories 2%) and no AF.  I applied for PayPal Extra MC a month or two later, and got approved for Smart Connect instead (now I know I was lucky to be approved at all), 500CL as well. About four months later, I did the online CLI and was approved for 2K. That button then disappeared ever since.

Between then and now, I gradually got lots of cards with Discover (current CL 4K), BofA (4K), Chase (4K), AMEX BCE (2K, approved yesterday), Barclay priceline (1.5K), Citi Forward (2.8K), AT&T Universal (4K), etc.  Since I always PIF (except during 0% introductory APR), I believe I can convince GE Money to convert my SC to Extra MC. However, I called them every couple of months and got nowhere. I was always told they appreciate me as a great customer, account upgrade is not available upon request. So this past Febrary, I thought I would just do a new application with a new PayPal account.  Of course I was declined, but the letter I received states the reason was I already have another credit product with them.. they didn't even pull my credit report.  I didn't know about backdoor number at the time, so I let it drop.

Half an hour ago, I just felt like applying again (don't know why).  Was declined again, but I called the backdoor number.  The representative verified some basic information, and put me on the hold for like 8 mins (presumably reviewing my application) before transfering me to another department.  The second guy had a strange accent, but I was able to understand him fine.  He just wanted to verify my cell phone number, so he sent me a text asking me to read back the four-digit code... lucky I have a smartphone, not sure you can do this on a dumb one... anyway he then told me I was approved for 3K and will receive my card in 7-10 days at most.  Hope my story helps someone.

Very nice!!!

CONGRATS!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
gnarlycow
Valued Member

@mauwow0682 wrote:

Are you keeping the smart connect too or closing it? Congrats BTW! I may do this at some point, but it is certainly low on my priority list. 

I am keeping my smart connect. It's my second oldest account, so it helps with my AAoA. I haven't been using it for like 7 months, and I don't receive a statement when there is no activity, but they report to 3B every month regardless.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.